SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanishgw

How can we re-work our laundry/pantry space?

1929Spanish-GW
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

You know how sometimes something makes a lot of sense until it doesn’t? Well, that’s sort of where we are with our laundry space. Let this be a cautionary tale.

When we did our addition/new kitchen I didn’t want the standard bifold doors in our kitchen. So we put together a space with power and an Elfa organization that seemed to make sense. Truthfully, we were trying to control costs - which we all know can often not turn out for the better.

After five years, we realize this was a miss.

We also have to find a contractor to put up or new cabinet doors in the kitchen (due to paint failure) and some structural work in the dining room that was added in the 40’s. So I thought it might be a good opportunity to address the laundry at the same time.

That being said, I still don’t have a vision for the space. We think we want laundry under a counter and cabinetry from counter to ceiling. We like the idea of landing space (i.e. drink service for parties and room to fold some laundry) and the look as well. But our goal is to maximize the storage space without taking away from the historical-ish look of the space. So is that the best way to organize the space?

Currently we store the brooms, ironing board, step ladder larger pots/serviceware/appliances, extra paper goods/storage bags/cleaning supplies, misc meds/first aid/cleaning supplies (many can be moved).

Here’re the specs.

Approximate measurements here.

--The W/D is about 27” wide x 36" tall x 27" deep each

--The wine cooler - a free standing Vinotemp from Costco - is 17” wide x 32” tall x 19" deep. We're not married to this one and could entertain moving it. We like having one, but are not wine collectors. -------The ironing board/brooms and ladder could be stored somewhere else.

--There is a ceiling light on the left, power outlet right/center wall.

--There is a fan/light on the right, along with power/water/gas and a dryer vent.

--The center wall and 14"-ish wall at the ceiling could (and should) come out. I'm assuming the power outlet could be moved to the back wall.

Goal would be to maximize storage while keeping coordination with the look of the kitchen. Would love to hear what you think could work so we (meaning I) can formulate an initial plan. We will not entertain moving the laundry in our small house.

I'd love your input as we start to plan.

Comments (15)