SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

Can we brainstorm and save $100K on our remodel?

ravmd
15 years ago

We received our first bid (on our previously posted PLAN A) and are in the sticker shock phase now.

To bump out the back wall of our current kitchen and extend the garage to create a mudroom/laundry room, we are looking at $100+K for just construction. Cabinet bids are coming in at ~$50K+ and then we have appliances,counters , misc, on top of that. This doesn't even cover any cabinets in the mudroom/laundry.

So while we are getting additional estimates that will hopefully be a little lower,I am studying our current floorplan to see if we are missing something and to see what we could achieve in this kitchen by removing only interior walls. We still would like an island (family of 5). So looking at our current floorplan, if we were to dedicate the powder room/pantry/mudroom space into a kitchen space what could we achieve?

We would still like a powder room somewhere. Even some of the office space could be used. And we can remove the family room closet wall to open up the FR to the kitchen if that helps.

The problem area is the basement door location and the entrance hallway-it prevents us from extending the kitchen into that space. Can the steps be repositioned somewhere? And we also don't know how to use the small alcove area with sliders more effectively-it has a round table which we don't need and is way too tight right now. Other than that , it is just a pass through area to the patio.But for a 9' wide area it seems like it should have a better purpose!

It seems like there is a lot of area to work with , but we just can't figure it out.

So wanted to brainstorm here.

We haven't given up on the construction but just wanted to try and put things in perspective by looking at all our options.

I will be happy to provide more info, but didn't want to reiterate things that were already discussed previously to those who helped so much with our Plan A and Plan B floor plans!

By the way, I have been studying MALHGOLD's floorplan as it reminds me a bit of what we have in terms of the entrance foyer, basement steps, etc. and I lover her plan so was trying to see if we can incorporatea a similar layout somehow with all our door/hallway obtacles.

Thanks so much AGAIN! Especially if we can save a few bucks!

I posted a link to the PLAN A floorplan we previously discussed and you can see the proposed addition space and surrounding areas.

Here is our EXISTING floorplan (based on some work we did back in 2001)

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan A floor plan

Comments (4)