SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaine66_gw

Upstairs ac/heat pump not working-we're srs & no dwnstairs bed

elaine66
13 years ago

We are frustrated and very hot. We're in dfw, tx and it's the hottest early June ever -- already 99 and 100 with indexes of 104+. This is our dilemma: we're in our 20 yr old 2 1/2 story lakeside home and going to sell in a yr or so. Since our area has now become very affluent (we're not), when we sell then our home will likely be torn down -- not big enough rooms compared to the mansions around us so were not wanting to make huge investments as there wonÂt be much of a payback.

We had a friend (an a/c professional), who was our repair person for over 20 years but he passed away 3 yrs ago. Over the years he shared a lot with my husband but now I wish we'd asked more questions.

Right after he passed, Feb 2008, we had to replace the outside downstairs unit and we spent a lot of time doing research on brands and installers before we decided on a local a/c guy and a Trane r-22 unit. I knew that it was iffy to replace an outdoor unit and not the inside one, but we had space issues and he assured me that he had ck'd it out and it was in good shape and should be able to take the increased pressure of the new outside Trane. Since it was winter they came back when the a/c needed to be used and said it was low and topped it off with a # or 2 of r-22 at no charge.

The next summer it wasn't cooling well so they came out to ck it and ck'd our upstairs unit's level while they were here. They said it was completely out of freon and the upstairs unit was almost out. They replaced it before they told me this (I was right there) and then presented me with a bill for $300. I almost fell on the floor!!!! They charged $30 # and said it took 9#s for both of our 3 ton units. Then they said that if it leaked out again they'd have to replace both of our indoor coils (one of our coils is only 6 years old -- our friend replaced it at a cost of $l,l00). This service call took him a very short time and I don't think he ck'd for any other obvious leaks. IÂm not sure IÂm being fair or not but I have lost faith in them. Plus I do not want the expense of replacing 2 inside coils when IÂm doubting that they may be the issue. I donÂt ever remember having to have more than a # or 2 on any unit weÂve ever owned in our 40 years of home ownership  Is it possible that he was right and they were that low????

I have done a lot of research on line and found where one hvac pro says that if they donÂt protect the Schrader valves when they sweat the new lines then the rubber seals can be damaged and will then leak. I got out my original Carrier books and they mention in their installation instructions to use the cloth to cover the valves for protection. Also, IÂve read where it could be an old, rusty accumulator. I can only wonder what else it could be.

I am so frustrated that I'm about to get certification myself and put my husband thru the humiliation of servicing it with r-22 or that new r-22a while I read him all the instructions. He will hate that but I don't know any other a/c person to trust.

Also, I'd like to know if you can safely use a stop leak product in your lines if it's not leaking at some obvious place.

Our bills are always high and weÂre always cold in the winter and often not that comfortable in the summer

Any input you all have will be appreciated.

Comments (2)