SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltonelson1

Help picking out hardwood please

ltonelson1
5 years ago

I'm so tired of shopping for hardwood. We had a floor picked out and then changed what we were doing for cabinets in the kitchen and the floor we had picked out now seems too golden (Vintage Flooring - Maple Oxford).

We are installing hardwood on our main floor - about 1250 sq ft - open concept. We are not installing it in the kitchen (thanks to two dogs who can't drink water without dribbling it all over the floor) although we are redoing the kitchen. Our cabinets will be Medallion Cherry Eagle Rock in a shaker style.

Since we have two big dogs, we want something that's not going to show the inevitable scratches as easily a some woods will. Maybe hickory? I'm not a fan of oak. I like "character" and some hand scraping but not the "hand" scraping that looks mechanical and repetitive. My style is "Pottery Barn" (don't laugh!). We've considered both tile and LPV but we prefer wood.

We want 5", although could go up to 7", and engineered. The color has to "go" with the kitchen cabinets. The hardwood won't be in the kitchen but you will be able to see both (family room next to the kitchen). We would like something lighter than the cabinets, but not as light as natural. Not golden and not reddish.

Price-wise probably around the $10-11 range although we would go up a little for the perfect floor!

Here are the cabinets (although we'll get them without the stain). In reality they are probably less red/golden than in the picture.

Kitchen remodel · More Info

Kitchen remodel · More Info

Any suggestions would be most welcome!! If not suggestions for a specific flooring, brand suggestions would also be helpful. I've looked at so many that my head is spinning.

Thanks!

Comments (4)