SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomas_hall96

Inexpensive Kitchen Remodel: THOUGHTS/HELP Welcome!

Thomas Hall
5 years ago

Hi all,

First time home buyer, picked up a fixer upper for a second home near the beach (but not looking for beach style). Would love your advice/ feedback on our ideas. Here is the kitchen. It is wonky. Note the cabinets are not even (because the window is not centered), the sink is not centered (because of the dishwasher), etc.

We are on a limited budget, so had the following ideas:

- Keep and repair black marble countertops (did I mention on a budget?!)

- Use a Medium stain on the floor, keep floors. Same stain runs throughout main floor, although all the other floors are original to the old house and much narrower planks. C'est la vie!

- Paint lower cabinets a bright white (Chantilly Lace Benjamin Moore), new pulls.

- Where the upper cabinets are, remove and do two rows of shelves with wood, stain wood to match floors. The shelves would be different lengths but could be made flush to the window to get rid of the uneven look.

- Add shelves on the left wall all the way to the Vent Hood and on the right wall, bring the shelf just around the corner to new cabinets on the right wall (seen here with the metal shelf), all the way to the fridge (losing the TV, too, of course). Also do a single cabinet next to the vent hood above the end of the countertop (seen here on bottom left of image). Paint the upper cabinets a bright white (Chantilly Lace Benjamin Moore) to match lowers.

- New pendant lights/ ceiling fan (not worried about that yet)

- White farm sink, moved to the right as much as possible without replacing countertops and keeping space for a dishwasher. Because sink will be off center no matter what, wondering if we could use a corner faucet to at least center the faucet in the window. Is that dumb/ does it exist?

- Backsplash: We like this affordable hexagonal tile. We have large hexagonal flooring going in the bathroom on this floor: Question: IS IT WEIRD to "rhyme" geometric shapes in different rooms? Not the same tile, but different sizes/ colors, but same shape? I like it, especially as a contrast to all the rectangles?

Bring backsplash up to first shelf, but under the vent hood, bring it all the way up to bottom of vent hood. Use a gray grout.

- Other thought is subway tile, but we are using that in the bathrooms and it feels too one note and boring in this kitchen context. Or am I wrong?

- Paint: Behind shelves and all the way up, a nice gray like Harbor Gray from Benjamin Moore.

If you guys had thoughts on this, I would love to hear them. We have both "Moroccan" tile going into bathroom (Floor) and and geometric tile on the fireplace "floor" (small patch of floor at base of fireplace exterior), so we didn't want to do too much of that look, and the downstairs bathroom is getting large matte black hexagonal flooring (did I mention we don't want it to be too beachy?) and the downstairs shower floor is getting back and white patterned hexagonal tile, so our range is subway tile for shower and bath walls, hexagonal for downstairs bathroom floors, Moroccan pattern for upstairs bathroom floor, geometric "star" pattern for fireplace floor.

What do you think for kitchen? All ideas welcome.

Comments (25)