SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teach2015

Help with new kitchen picture window size above new peninsula

teach2015
5 years ago

I've been struggling with trying to decide what size new picture window to put in right above our peninsula. I'd love some input on what dimensions you all think make sense. We are putting in a 42" wide and 63" long peninsula that will be attached to the wall facing our backyard. It will have a 36" high counter height. We want to add more light as we love to look out at our backyard. We made some changes to our original plan so we don't have an elevation for this wall we can use. We have 9ft ceilings.. There are two existing double hung windows on this wall that are tall( a shorter one is close to the end near the side porch) and we are trying to keep the height of the new window the same. There will also be about 4" or so of trim around the entire picture window similar or the same as the current window. There will also be a 32" window door put in the right corner as shown- maybe over a little bit.

I've included a top down floor plan. Note- it doesn't show the windows on this wall correctly. It's also missing another window on the other wall. The peninsula will also be centered with the sink, which isn't show.

What do you all think of a window that is 50"x50" centered above the peninsula with 4 inches of trim going all the way around(58"x58")? It would extend 8" on either side including the trim. The contractor is fine with this and there is plenty of room for the door. We'd have 1-2 inches of wall above the counter before the bottom of the window trim. Is this a little too wide/big? We had first thought of making it as wide as the peninsula at 42" with similar height, but thought it might be too narrow.

We'd be sitting in counter height stools guessing about 26" from the floor. Sorry the picture got cut off a bit. The right wall doesn't show up, but is plain with one small window closer to upper right hand corner. Any suggestions/comments would be welcome. Getting tired of obsessing about this.

Thanks!

Comments (10)