SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenca_2010

new here and need help with a new kitchen! :)

brenca_2010
14 years ago

i'm very happy to have found this place... excited! *waving hello*

we are planning our first ever kitchen make-over and i'm hoping for input from you wonderful ppl. my current kitchen has very little counter top area and we're hurting big time for storage/cabinets. i don't like to use the word 'hate' but in the case of my existing kitchen i must... i hate it. and can't wait to take a big fat hammer to it!! we're hoping to swap the kitchen & dining room. can't come up with any layout that will work better in my existing kitchen and i don't want to put $ into just sprucing up something that doesn't work in the first place.

the wall between the K and DR is load bearing but we've already had a contractor verify that it can come down. and even though we will take the wall down and open it up i'll still be hurting for cabinet space because of the doorways, windows etc.

goals: desperately need counter space, storage, a place to sit a stool near the kitchen area and a whole new look!

family composition: just me and my honey left at home. all kids grown

how many kitchen workers are there? mainly me but he gets in there too. i do need to consider resale since we will only be here about more 5 yrs.

where are you flexible? everything can be changed, however, the new sink must be put on the door & window wall. we are on a concrete slab foundation and that wall is best for new plumbing, drain, etc due to the fact that there is a drain out right outside the door and the septic tank is right out back as well. spoke with a few plumbers about this.

all electrical, plumbing, 11ft supporting wall between existing kitchen and dining rooms is coming down. 6 ft french doors are being replaces with a 3' glass door. 4 ft window is being replaced and moved. yes i'm flexible. :)

appliances: just purchased basic appliances. GE profile CD FD stainless ref. 36', GE free standing double oven stove 30', GE profile dw 24'. still need to pick up mw, will get over the range one (because of space issues).

pantry: hoping to have a 6 x 2 closet pantry in the new dining room unless we come up with better layout than i have planned now. i'm hurting for storage throughout the house.

i don't know if my gnarly drawings will help for a start. i hope they make some sense! i don't have or know how to use a program.

any input it would be greatly appreciated. and thank you in advance!

here is a rough idea of my existing floor plan.

Plan I've come up with, U- Shaped Kitchen:

Plan for Dining Room:

Here is a link that might be useful: My photos

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!