SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txskeeter_gw

Check the expiration date before you put it in your cart.

TXSkeeter
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I've noticed a trend in the three grocery stores close to me and it doesn't seem to ever end. That is finding food items on the shelves, be they canned, boxed or cellophane wrapped, that have expired expiration dates. The stores are apparently all owned by the same holding company (?) and effectively carry almost the same products albeit with different logos. All three stores are major chains and while each has its advantages, many of those advantages probably come from the store personnel rather than the grocery selection. For example, one store has the nicest, freshest produce department in this end of town while another has better meat market selections and butchers that can usually answer your questions. The third and closest store is ok for short runs like bread and milk and while they typically have a bit cheaper pricing, the veggie aisle is a disaster and frequently smells bad, the meat selection is iffy from time to time, and the help can be, shall we say not bad people but problematic at times. On the other hand, I applaud all three stores for hiring the disabled even though they typically hold minor part time positions.

Back to the issue...

I tend to buy a few canned/boxed food items from time to time simply because they can sit in my pantry for some period without the need for refrigeration or other special considerations. Over the last couple of years and on any one shopping trip though, I usually find at least one item group, say X brand of beans in a 15 oz. can, where nearly every item/can/box on the shelf is out of date and in some cases, has been out of date for a considerable period. I used to take an example up to the manager's station and report that X product is out of date and they need to get it off the shelf. At some point though, I gave up since on my next trip to that store the same out of date items were still in that same placement and nothing had been done about replacing the out of date product with fresher product. This is for multiple products mind you... I don't go looking for these out of date items, they just happen to be stuff that may be on my grocery list and which I assure you, is not nearly as extensive as some of you folks who are a lot more inventive and productive cooks than I am.

I really don't think that the store(s) is selling out of date merchandise on purpose but it also seems like when the gripey guy left, the problem went away until the next observant shopper called it to their attention again. I know as well as you that the expiration date on many products is little more than the manufacturer's opinion of when a product should be removed from sale. It doesn't mean that the product in the package is necessarily bad or might even go bad in the near future but it is at least some type of guideline.

I write this only to point out that if my local stores aren't paying attention to product dates when restocking then your stores probably aren't either so before you put that can, box, or package in your grocery shopping cart, check the expiation date to see exactly how much time you have to use it safely.

Comments (20)