SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edanz

lighting dilemma in open space

edanz
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if I could get some interior design advice related to lighting an open floor plan.

I have an open floor living/dining room area.

The dining room table is only about 4 feet away from the living room area. Both spaces are wired for a ceiling fixture. Originally, I intended to put a chandelier over the dining room table that would take center stage, while hanging a complementary pendant over the center table in the living room area that would work well with the dining room table chandelier, without distracting attention from it. Both fixtures are only about 10.5 feet apart.

I ordered the two fixtures from the internet, and installed them. But I was disappointed that the living room pendant (with six lights) turned out much bigger than I expected. Although technically 4 inches smaller than the chandelier over the dining table, in reality it looks the same size, if not bigger than the chandelier.

Now that they are both up, I feel that both fixtures compete for attention in the overall space. I'm disappointed and not the least of which because of how expensive both fixtures are.

Could someone weigh in on whether my concern is well founded?

I am including a couple of photos so you can get an idea of how the fixtures spatially relate to each other. Many thanks in advance!

Comments (8)