SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Another Amazon Error

bob_cville
5 years ago

We have a house that we've been renting out. The renters moved out about a week ago and the mentioned that the induction cooktop had been working less and less well in the last few weeks.

We've planned to fix the place to sell it in the spring, and rent it out short term in the meantime via AirBnB. After the renters moved out we went to clean it up and get it ready, because we already had some guests booked starting just a week later, AKA Thanksgiving.

I had seen the cooktop have problems in the past where sometimes if the leftmost burners were both used at too high of a setting, the cooktop would flash an error code and turn off. So that's what I expected when I tested it. Instead whenever you simply turn the unit on, it would flash the error code and turn itself off. I researched it briefly and found that to repair it, just the parts would likely cost $1200 to $2000.

I looked at prices for new units and found that a similar unit retails for around $725. With that information I made the obvious choice, and looked for how I could get the unit as quick as possible, as found a special deal trhough Amazon for the last one of last years model, that they could deliver in just 2 days meaning it would arrive on Monday, in plenty of time for me to install by Thursday.

The package did arrive as promised and it seemed really well packed, with no damage to the exterior of the box, so I didn't open it and check it immediately.

The next day before loading it into the car to go install it, I decided to make sure I had what I needed to install it, I opened the box and found that rather than an induction cooktop, the box contained an electric scooter.

We called Amazon and, of course, since it was a close-out special they had no more of that model, and the best they could do would be to offer free express shipping for a different model which because of Thanksgiving wouldn't arrive until Friday. We notified the guests and tried valiantly to work out some solution that would work for them, but unsurprisingly, they cancelled.

Comments (20)