SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_848528364

Is my neighbor too noisy?

Jessica Martinez
5 years ago

Is my neighbor being too noisy? Not sure if I am being unreasonable?

Single family houses are very close together, about 8 feet. It’s a nice family neighborhood and is overall pretty quiet (we are in Florida).. My neighbor and I both have pools and screened patios. I didn’t have any issues up until recently when they installed an outdoor television and surround sound speakers that are in all the corners of the screened patio.

They now host loud parties with several guests pretty much every weekend for 8+ hours a day. Even during the week, there are usually several guests over in the evening. It’s either music on with thudding bass, or sports on the television along with shouting and yelling. All of this is clearly audible from my patio, as well as inside the house if a window is open. Unless I want to endure their noise, I am forced to wear noise canceling headphones if I want to sit outside, and can’t open my windows anymore.

I did contact them about it, but they were rude and told me they can do whatever they want as long as it’s not late at night. I had hoped perhaps they didn’t realize how far the sound was carrying, but that was not the case. I also thought that we could come up with a compromise, say limiting the outdoor parties to once or twice a month instead of every weekend and turning the bass level down, but they shut me down so fast I didn’t even have a chance to bring it up. I’ve contacted the HOA multiple times and they won’t give me an answer regarding what is acceptable as far as noise volume, duration and frequency.

Would you be tolerant of this? I consider myself to be a pretty reasonable person, and this just really does not seem considerate to me. Sure an occasional party, but not all the time and not so loud.

I’d move, but it wouldn’t be a smart financial choice right now, so I really don’t want to have to consider that. And no chance of them moving anytime soon, they have been in the neighborhood for many years.

I don’t know what to do at this point? I am becoming more resentful, angry and TBH, I dread coming home from work now. Sad to prefer my office to my own home.

I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Comments (3)