SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
picnichome

"Lessons Learned" in transforming a Traditional home to a Modern home

picnichome
5 years ago

My wife and I bought our home a few years ago, and were initially thrilled with it, and we still are don't get me wrong, but we've had some realizations after much trial and error and after much reading and research.

I think we've found ourselves attempting to force a "modern" style throughout our home, when the home is entirely constructed on a "traditional" style. The wood floors and stone are dark. The paint colors are/were older style colors in yellows, pale reds, greens, and golds. The furniture we've collected over the years, and the furniture that came with the house all fit that same style. The fixtures are just... old. Yet what we tend to want are cleaner lines, brighter rooms, less busyness, and modern furniture.

We've found it difficult to work with what we have, and try to blend together newer modern color schemes and furnishings with some of the older architectural features of the rooms - the moldings, the builtin shelving and mantle, the stonework, the countertops, cabinetry. These things are simply not replaceable and are permanent.

One example - one of the rooms had been dedicated to have some of our older wood furniture, and keep it together. But it is an open room adjoined to others. We wanted to put in a ceiling fan here and replaced the old light fixture. It took my wife and I several weeks to find a ceiling fan that would be 'modern' enough for our taste and for the next 10 years, while also being 'traditional' enough to not stand out against the existing furniture.

Currently, we're on our way to completely redo a living room. The walls have been changed from red to a neutral "Temperate Toupe" from Sherwin Williams. But I'm afraid we might be stuck on figuring out exactly what color or style carpet to put in here. What color the window shades should be, or curtains. What color the couch should be. And what color or style the desk should be. How do we blend everything together properly? And without it clashing with the style in the adjacent foyer and rooms, that use dark wood floors, host some older furnishings and shelving, and detailed trimwork?

Surely there are plenty others that have gone through similar experiences. And I'm wondering, what are some of the "lessons learned" you've had along the way during the blending of these styles? It seems that you must be careful with the "transitional" style, and use caution when choosing color schemes, accents and features of the furniture, the decor choices. Have you found any guidelines that helped you? Or methods that have surprised you?

Comments (5)