SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_koz

Please help us transform our new home - it's too traditional!

Jason Koz
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My wife and I are purchasing a home in the San Diego area! It's an amazing house with an amazing yard & pool! We close on it in November. The only problem is, it's got a lot of traditional touches vs. our more transitional/modern tastes!

We want to focus on the downstairs initially and we'll worry about the upstairs and master bath later. Looking for creative ideas that hopefully aren't super expensive!

Some things I know we want to address sooner vs. later:

1. All kitchen countertops definitely need to be replaced (probably with a white quartz)!

2. Cabinets. Ideally, we'd have a more modern style cabinet (i.e. shaker) but I imagine this would cut into the budget a lot! Perhaps just replacing the hardware and/or trim at the top of the cabinets would suffice?

3. Vent hood has to be updated - way too traditional looking for us!

4. The backsplash - we can probably learn to do this work ourselves?

5. The island. Since we're changing the kitchen countertops for sure, perhaps we remove the pedestal legs at the end of the island and get a smaller slab of quartz? Then we could paint the island. My wife thought it would look good painted a deep rich blue. Thoughts?

6. The fireplace and surrounding wall + built-ins in the great room near the kitchen - what do we do to make this all look more modern? Ideally, I'd like the TV to hang a little lower on the wall as well vs. where the current homeowner has it. New tile/stone/white brick surround? Cover up the entire fireplace with drywall? (I say this half jokingly, but half seriously).

7. The flooring. The floors are currently a dark, textured/bumpy, engineered hardwood. Not really our taste. Do we refinish them somehow? They cover most of the house except the front "formal" living room. Ideally, my wife would like the entire first floor of the house to have the same floors and NOT these ones! Something lighter and with wider planks. Some of the newer luxury vinyl looks really nice. Is it crazy to consider replacing all of this flooring with vinyl though?

8. Paint - no problem - I can handle! Probably paint a lot of the house a nice shade of white.

9. Staircase - anything easy we can do to make this look a bit more modern and less traditional?

10. Front entry chandelier - we'll definitely be swapping this out!

Budget: Ideally, $20k-30k for the items identified above (can maybe stretch a bit if needed). Need to find the right balance of "good enough" vs. "perfect" - reusing what we can vs. throwing everything out and starting new.

Please help! What would YOU do? Looking for some creative ideas to bridge the gap from traditional to transitional/modern that won't cost a fortune if possible! Thanks so much!! I'll be checking back regularly!!

Comments (26)