SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaismom_gw

Rental house: Modern versus traditional/transitional kitchen

kaismom
14 years ago

If you were a renter, what type of kitchen would draw you to rent the house? If you were a renter, how much would granite countertop wow you into renting the place?

I have a rental house which is 1960s ranch with really nice mid century modern bones to the house. It needs a new kitchen. The kitchen is original to the house!

I will use Ikea cabinets. Best value for quality out there, IMHO. Although neighbor with rental properties tell us that they don't hold up that well in a rental. The trim and the doors in the house are golden brown tone. I can do modern two tone slab doors with upper whites and lower darks with white countertops. I will wrap the white uppers with brown trim. It will look way cool and modern. I will have to use white laminate to make the look pull together. much cheaper and less wow version of Sochi's walnut kitchen.

Another option is to do something like Adel/Tidaholm (shaker style doors) with precut granite countertop in a generic granite color. Precut granite is quite affordable here. This will have standard generic/ubiquitous look.

Are modern kitchens a big turn off for most people?

Is granite countertop enough to offset the generic loook? I guess most people would think that it looks good (it will have that standard Shaker/granite combo) and maybe wowed by the granite....

What are your thoughts?

My design sense wants me to do the modern because that is what I love. My business sense tells me to do what the renters want, because that's what most people know....

Comments (13)