SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Architect-vernacular MCM-brutalist house with traditional kitchen

palimpsest
13 years ago

This interesting, Historically Certified, house just went on the market. The underlying house is old, the rehab is 1960s-70s.

I posted this in the Home Decorating forum as well but I know that some people do not venture much into both forums.

There is a little more kitchen talk in this post.

This is a fairly typical example of an architect-designed (and probably owned) MCM rehab that was going on in the city when properties were cheap and the neighborhoods were transitioning. The construction is very "homemade": I am not sure any of the windows are more than a sheet of glass put into a stick built frame--they don't look like they open.

The detail under the windows, which screens air conditioners and other vents is stacked sewer pipe. Typically the "conceptual" or the design ideas that drove these projects outpaced both the technology at the time and the budget.

All in all its an interesting house--expensive now @ $600K--and a historical document (which has been recognized) and at the same time its all a little crude and ugly, while being beautiful at the same time.

I am not sure the new kitchen is doing it any favors. Its fairly simple at least but its a little too slick with the granite and the country hutch is kinda strange. An old hutch easily would've been one of the furnishings in this house--but beat up or painted. Maybe this one could be redone in turquoise. The original kitchen would have been like the office cabinets. There is probably a way to get a 2000s kitchen in here, but I am not sure this is it--IKEA would've been better. It almost works but not quite.

The bathroom is crazy:) I would have to leave that one even if I didn't use it. There are two others, probably more conventional in size.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}