SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

A white kitchen? Just go with architect's advice?

sochi
10 years ago

We're finalising plans for our lakeside cottage, a small modern cantilevered place on a heavily wood lot. Lots of windows.

The kitchen will be galley style, open to the DR and LR beyond.

I'm not in love with all white kitchens, but I have some white cabs in my main home, so I'm not completely opposed either.

My architect's interiors are almost always white (too white for me. I love his houses generally though, which is of course why we went with him). Our cottage have wood floors and many wood walls, white ceilings, so the white is off set and warmed with lots of wood. The peninsula/island part of the kitchen will be clad in the same wood that will be on the floor and some walls (white oak).

The architect really wants white cabinets, for the most part I've trusted his choices and gone along, so far. I'm hesitating about the white kitchen cabinets though.

Should I just trust his advice? He feels white will reflect the light better. To be sure this kitchen isn't meant to the centrepiece - the view out the windows is - so I'm not contemplating show stopping cabinets. But maybe gray? A hint of blue?? More wood on the uppers?

Any advice for me?

Comments (106)

• luckygal
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One thing I don't think has been mentioned (altho I've only quickly scanned the previous posts) is texture. You have not said what type of material the architect envisions for the white cabinets but they don't have to be a smooth (either shiny or matte) surface. Since you would like rustic and the house design is definitely modern, you could go with a very textured surface that is painted white. Think a very weathered barnboard painted a very white white. Since the white outdoors in the winter in Canada is often a blue-white I think a stark white would work better than a creamy white but the texture will make them more interesting than just a smooth surface.

I don't know whether there is a manufactured textured product made specifically for kitchen cabinets or whether they would have to be made from old weathered wood, but either way it should be something that is possible to create. I think I've heard that wood can be sandblasted to cause the grain to remain raised which might be a possibility.

IMO architects and designers work *for* the client and the client should never *have* to accept something they are not comfortable with just because the architect or designer has a 'signature' design. Repeat to yourself (if you need to) "Mr. Architect works FOR me and I would like to know other options for MY kitchen".

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I'd live in this house and leave all design to the architect, no questions asked. You are fortunate s/he is doing things the Wright way (pun intended) and designing a total space for the environment. Few are able to do or understand that. Picking apart one part without considering the whole will distract from the entire vision, which is remarkable and statement-making.

• Related Discussions

Anyone after looking at paint chips just go with white walls?

Q

Comments (15)
    We're about to make that jump for our hallways, barring a last-minute change of heart by The Husband. We have a three-story townhouse and planned to paint all three floors of hallway this lovely BM gray called Oystershell. Swatches were fine, large samples on the walls were fine, overall effect is sad and dreary, and the gray casts blue on one floor and green on another. Our backup color scheme is much more dynamic (dark brown walls, white ceiling, red doors) but DH is balking. We've tried a yellow and a green too, and it's not working. Our backup backup is BM Super White semi-gloss everywere, and that's the way it's probably going to shake out. We did Super White semi-gloss in another room where no color worked well and it's wonderful. If we end up with white halls, it will be a combination of choice and default option, but either way I think we'll be happy.
    ...See More

Lilysmom & Cheryl: just checking in. How is your kitchen going?

Q

Comments (300)
    Oh the tile is so beautiful and I LOVE how it looks but I see what you're saying; from what you've shown, the darker contrast has more of a kick. Wonder if you could wipe it down really well to remove a little, and then grout with a darker grout? Or - a quick search showed this - perhaps a good fix? I would highly recommend applying to a sample board before you apply to your actual grout. Apply Enhancing Sealer Apply enhancing sealer to help darken the color of dry grout. Although it may never be as dark as it was before it dried, the sealer will help deepen the color and block stains. The most common grout sealers will not darken grout because they are formulated to dry invisibly. Check the label to be sure yours is an enhancing sealer. There are also lots of threads about applying a stain to the grout and wiping it off, to darken. Would you be willing to post a picture of the range wall with the tile grouted, for comparison? Your kitchen is GORGEOUS.
    ...See More

Need advice on wall color options to go with kitchen cabinets??

Q

Comments (5)
    Your antique white looks much whiter in your photo than what SW's images of it show on my monitor, so take this all with a grain of salt. Agreeable Gray does seem likely to bring out the yellow in your cabinets. Accessible Beige is similar but warmer, and I think will be a better pairing. If you are willing to go lighter on the walls, you could look at Neutral Ground, Creamy, and Shoji White. Wool Skein and Relaxed Khaki lean even more beige than Accessible Beige, but could work well (Relaxed Khaki is a bit darker).
    ...See More

Kitchen remodel advice. Will these materials go well together?

Q

Comments (11)
    yes the tiles are for the floor. I cannot change the tiles they are already delivered. I realized the problem with tiles and quartzite choice after i purchased these tiles. I had no idea it would be so hard to find something that does not fight with the pattern fo the tile. I have my mind set on quartzite for my stone and this stone comes with very limited options. Majority of them are very warm or less warm tones. Infinity white seems the least conflicting one. the cabinet is white high gloss and tiles are polished as well.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Luckygal,

I think that is the very tricky line one has to balance as a client. If you consistently "overrule" them and insist on what you think will work, then they are order takers not designers, and you have overpaid dearly for order taking. OTOH, it IS your space and I DO AGREE that designers sometimes choose things for odd reasons that are not in the client's best interests, and that sometimes designers aren't very good (whatever that means?). Like almost everything in life, success lies in finding some middle ground. You can't build a house you wont like, but, hopefully, the professional knows better than you.

I stick by what I said. I'd trust him, but I'd also voice my concern and see how HE would address it. I would not pick one element out and decide what it would be by myself, I would want solutions that he stands behind holistically.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

She sure is smart. Smart enough to think her architect might be right, and smart enough to think about it. Why then, all the insinuation that she's not smart enough to recognize a "bad" architect who is "forcing " her to meet his agenda?

The underlying message here is that any architect with a strong focus is some sort of con artist. If this architecture is bad architecture, and the messes churned out by Donald Gardner et al are "good " architecture, I'l take Sochi's bad architect any day.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I cannot see than anyone is insinuating anything that questions Sochi's intelligence, nor does anyone seem to be suggesting they think the architect is a "con artist". Where does that come from?

In her original post Sochi states she is "not in love with all white kitchens" and that the architect's interiors are almost always "too white" for her. Possible solutions to this dilemma are what she is seeking and some have given these.

Asking the architect for an explanation and for other options rather than accepting something she's not sure she'll like is an intelligent choice. Blindly following others' suggestion is not, no matter how knowledgeable or well-known they are in their field.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

"Not a good architect ", and " a good architect would/ does /doesn't " are comments sprinkled throughout the comments. That's where it comes from. No one is explicitly saying this is a bad architect, no
    But the implications are that he is not good because he has a strong preference for a paint color that varies from the client' s..I don't see where he has refused to complete the project unless it's all white

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Architects and designers are not gods. Of course the design process should include the client and be based on the client's taste and needs, not someone else's. Why else do you custom build a dream home. And the outcome of a design project like this certainly should not include things or be based around things the client does not even like. Design is a collaborative effort where ideas should be discussed, challenged, molded. Yes, of course a good designer will want feedback, be able to sort through it, using that critical information to produce a satisfying outcome for their client.

Now if she has given him carte blanche as an artist to go build her a house, then that is another story.

No, palimpsest, the insinuation was that neither Sochi nor the architect is smart or talented enough to think independently, process feedback, think things through, design well; ie, do his job. That is the job. But they would instead be somehow swayed by idiots on some internet forum, resulting in a horrid, corrupt design full of bad and uneducated taste. So she should not bring her project here and people should just keep their mouths shut if she does, to not "spoil the broth". Even though she solicited the group, "needing to talk".

Honestly, it didn't even sound like you really read her posts or what she is aiming for. She is not comfortable with what he is planning, explicitly saying so several times. So you basically said she is not building the right house for herself if she can't imagine herself living in it. Maybe that's good information. It's what discussions and feedback are for. Clarification.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

sochi: Have you chosen setting plaster or is it an option. You must really like candycotton pink if it's an option. I like the Joa's white better and of course there is no green in it because there is a hint of pink in it. It could be a contender. I do think that a colour somewhere on the red continuum could be a great backdrop colour for all that is outside. It will warm up the space but still have the white that the architect suggests. You have a lot of work ahead of you, that's for sure.

Someone mentioned not using cream/yellow white cabinets and I agree. That is what we have but the choice was made for a day like today which is typical of us from October to May. Pouring rain so a grey day against the evergreen forest colour of the west coast and in which I am surrounded. (But dealing with the evergreen forest colour brings it's own set of challenges because those colours range from black green through to lime green, fortunately I don't have any blue spruce near me) I don't have to deal with the colours of fall or the whites of snow but you do.

The other thing I guess I should ask you - are you concerned about what is outside your windows beyond the actual view? Are you concerned about the colours, the environment, the light, the textures, the movement outside? Is that part of the planning, design and decorating process or not? IS this about a house plunked into the middle of nature or is it about the house, lot and view working together.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

How much wood is going to be in the kitchen itself? You mention floor, walls, ceiling, and peninsula/island.
    Could you combine white and wood?
    I have to say that I like white sleek kitchens with wood floors, ceiling, etc.

Img src="http://imactoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Modern-kitchen-wooden-walls-and-ceiling-with-white-black-cabinet-kitchen-island-bar-stool-chandelier-big-window-refrigerator-grey-sofa-pillow-and-hardwood-flooring.jpg">;

{{gwi:1851899}}

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think Sochi knows exactly what I mean.
    Architects and designers are not Gods, but they are also not the demons they are almost always made out to be in thread after thread: " you don't need an architect/interior designer/kitchen designer! Post here and you will get a much better (result) than some designer will give you."?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think it's pretty clear what you were saying and why.

It's like blindly following design trends, instead of finding and doing what you as an individual really like. She should be able to converse openly and work with her architect on what she desires for her own house and life. Apparently he's being a bit insistent on the white. That was the opening question. But we do know little to nothing about what exactly he has in mind or about this particular person. Only that the OP does not really like white kitchens. It doesn't matter one iota if we or he does or not. He should be able to offer her alternatives and options, which doesn't seem to be the case at this point and is what I would ask him for. Maybe it's still early in the game and he can't let go of his own ideas yet. They can get precious. In the end, as a professional and an artist, he will want his client to be in love with the place, not be disappointed and uncomfortable in it. Everyone has responsibility in that.

If it's possible, Sochi, and you haven't, spend some real time in a similar setting experiencing how it feels to you. Maybe he has a similar house he can at least take you through.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 17:58

• User
    10 years ago

Just curious, has the architect used rustic elements within his designs in the past?

Looking at his houses, what is largest amount of variation in his palette? -wood tones, metals, paint colors, stones, etc.- How does this compare to your vision? Many modern architects stick to such a limited palette that adding a color to the cabinets could throw off the harmony.

For all w/ comments about the architect- Modern architecture is so different from most of the architecture that we are used to. The architect must be involved in the house as a whole for the best outcome. Their vision, their palette, the feelings that their spaces create all should be what draws a person to want to use them. If you do not like one aspect then that architect may not be right for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trendir- so many pretty houses to look at

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I'm not calling anybody an idiot. I am pointing out that modernism is a strict form that most people do not like as a residence. Design by committee is almost never a good idea particularly if part of the committee can't relate to the appeal of what is being designed. And this conversation went right from "my architect wants white and I don't" to "your architect is not doing his job." I find that quite a cognitive leap when you look at what he Has done.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"Modern architecture is so different from most of the architecture that we are used to. The architect must be involved in the house as a whole for the best outcome. "

Design is always about the whole. (No matter what the field).

A designer should be able to assimilate the customer's taste into the whole, just as he does when working with his own preferences or concepts. They would not, should not, just be tacking this here or that there. Design evolves, ideas incubate. It's a natural, thoughtful course of development, not something unusual. Certainly more complicated when working for someone else; and in a business setting.

• mama-sweetT
    10 years ago

Omgeee!! What a gorgeous home! And so much good advice for you to consider! What FuN it must be!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"And this conversation went right from "my architect wants white and I don't" to "your architect is not doing his job." I find that quite a cognitive leap when you look at what he Has done."

I said that's The job. Meaning nothing unusual about it. That is the design process.

"Mirrored doors!" (etc) is not considering people idiots? (I am taking a leap there, thinking for myself, that you were being sarcastic).

You don't know what people like or not to be saying they simply cannot relate to something modern, ie have no valuable input so shouldn't be saying anything at all. WTH? Even so, why not? Everyone here has their bias in any given discussion. The house is not an intellectual exercise for the architect, it's a custom house design, with considerations involved that anyone can relate to regardless of their taste. Do you really think Sochi or her architect is going to be influenced by bad ideas thrown out on an internet forum, wrecking what would have been a perfect design otherwise? Dealing with customers and bad ideas (his own as well) is all part of the mix too.

This is not a committee design by any stretch. It was a simple question; to blindly follow or not. Yes or no would not be sufficient, imo. Designing in a vacuum is not good either.

Some good points have been raised as to questions the OP should be asking herself, in order to reach her very personal goals.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said mirrored doors. I think it could be interesting if upper doors reflected outside views.

You almost wilfully try to interpret everything I say with some snide subtext. I am not the one who's the master of that.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Well I thought it was a gleeful suggestion at first, until I read the next post and knowing full well how you relentlessly harp on such things. Mirrors then turned to glitz, a mockery of the fine taste you speak of the houses here on GW.

No one has to "interpret" anything.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 19:31

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Just stop harping on me. Its clear you are offended by my very presence here. Ask that I be barred if I so offend people.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

This is complete absurdity.

Designing a structure can be an intellectual exercise. Just study architectural history and you will see this. I stress this to my students all the time.

Seems many are misreading Palimpsest's suggestions and allowing their experience of the more typical relationship between architect and client in a more typical build (one with no strict direction or period style) confuse their interpretation of this particular situation. How disappointing when its great for us to have members like Palimpsest offer industry-seasoned advice with a helpful perspective.

• sergeantcuff
    10 years ago

It's not "many", only one - Snookums - who has problems understanding Pal's perspective. I think Sochi can sort through the advice given here without Snookum's squabblings.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, the conversation and suggestions have helped me work through what my concerns were with white cabinets. I enjoy a good discussion.

The architect is great and I'm sure we'll arrive at something both appropriate for the house and warm enough for me and my woodsy taste. Perhaps we'll land on a warm, earthy off-white as Pal suggested, or maybe a slightly different colour for lower cabinets. Taupe colours and taupey whites are worth thinking about too.

Athomeinva, thanks for your comments and that link! I love love the dark and modern shed roof house in Canada in that thread. In fact I may have to post separately on an idea it's given me about the fridge. On the architect, he has recently completed a rustic modern place, I've only seen pictures though. He suggested that I visit and I think I ought to. I think I've got the right architect, but that doesn't mean we'll always see eye to eye on everything. We'll muddle through I think, and no doubt I will continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps less controversially, I will start a separate post on the fridge, please weigh in.

Thanks again GW folks!

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I missed quite a few posts, sorry!

Nosoccermom, thanks for the pictures. I really wanted wood floors plus wood ceiling with white walls, but (sadly) we have a budget to live within, so we're going for some wood walls. At this point no other wood in the kitchen except for the peninsula, but I'm wondering if we ought to really think about a panelled fridge. I will post separately on that.

Blfenton, I was thinking more of Joas White, not the pinker one. Agree about yellows given our environment, redder undertones make sense I think. Definitely the architect selected the site so that the house, site, trees all work together, that is paramount on his and my mind. The house is meant to blend in to the landscape, and will be only minimally visible from the driveway and actually not at all from the water (except winter maybe). Textures play a huge role in the interior, the architect and I have spoken quite a bit about this. I won't pretend to understand exactly how they all play together though ... Which is why ultimately I have to trust him.

The colours and light surrounding the house will vary so dramatically throughout the year that it is tough to plan. Light green in spring, dark green summer, lots of yellow and orange with some red in fall, plus white, white, white in winter. We get a lot of sun, except for November. Rainy, yucky month and most of the coloured leaves are gone. Probably 10-15 percent of trees are conifers though, so that helps.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Love the house, Sochi. I know you'll find your way through this.

Just please, folks, don't bash Pal back into the burrow when he finally peeped his head out again to contribute. I don't get what is wrong with people that these dynamics keep going on at the expense of valued members with expertise feeling chased off. Is that really good for anyone?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Sochi,

I am now just reading this post with a huge smile on my face. What an amazing home you will have! One thought - if the architect always uses white, then perhaps it's because it worked the first few times he did it, so has always done it since (and hasn't ever considered a plan B).

And since when is the architect a KD? (Just saying...).

Can you track down pictures of other white kitchens in similar homes he's done? Perhaps then we can photoshop in some color/different material suggestions.

You asked about refrigerators on your other thread. Have you considered fridge drawers instead and and/or a second fridge somewhere else for overflow? I think you'll be happier with a paneled fridge so start watching Craig's list to see if you can score an older integrated model which you could then re-panel as you like.

Love seeing the pictures and learning about your project. Please keep the posts and pictures coming!

Best,

Oldbat2be

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 7:23

• deegw
    10 years ago

Well said Steph.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago
  • sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks oldbat2be! I might consider a 24" or 30" all fridge, with a tub freezer in the basement. I will need ice in the kitchen though..

Oaktown, I hadn't thought of Rubrik, interesting option. What a gorgeous kitchen!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

what about this style:

Are in the US? If not, IKEA has Norje in Europe.
    {{gwi:1841053}}

• rosie
    10 years ago

I didn't offer anything because the role the kitchen color and sculptural lines/shape/mass would play in the overall design is very unclear to me and I was left wanting to know how the architect sees it.

FWIW, my first thought with white in itself is "light, energy." Take away white, lower the energy level? I noticed that the chair you show also has a lot of lively energy, very appropriate to a lively family getaway in the woods. Less so for a retreat for balancing one's chakras, but then I've never gotten the idea that's what you intend. :)

As always, I'm very much enjoying your sharing of your design musings and progress, Sochi. Thanks.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom - again, great pics. Love the IKEA oak, but we aren't in Europe (Canada). Our floors will be white oak though, so I'm not sure about more oak for the cabs. I like the gray kitchen (and the lighting!). Given the relatively small size of the kitchen we'll have to have uppers rather than shelves unfortunately.

rosie - thanks for your comments. I bet my architect won't like the chair either (he's more into balancing chakras I think !), but it's something I've wanted forever. For the formal pictures I might let him move it to the bedroom! Lively family getaway in the woods is what it will be I hope!

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

Finally had a chance to read all the posts. The house is beautiful and I hope it will provide many years of happy living.

That being said... aside from structural necessities, all else is personal interpretation. If sochi wants a kitchen that is not white I am confused as to why this should be anyone's choice but her own. She posted to get opinions as to what members might suggest, not to be beaten over the head for questioning the architect's motives. Once he has taken these stunning photos of HIS interpretations for his portfolio (an all white design can be quite dramatic) and runs to the bank to cash his hefty check, you're left there, looking on all that beauty that surrounds you.

As someone mentioned however, you are not staring out the window 24/7 so you would want the inside of the house to make you smile because you simply love your choices. If he's not willing to offer suggestions that compliment your desires then it's time to find an ID who will, or to follow your own compass fueled with some very wonderful suggestions I have seen so far. Don't let him or anyone else browbeat you into questioning your concerns.

Besides, all this talk about the how the house should be designed around these wonderful views - what happens at night??? Silly me.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Lynn, you wrote exactly what I was thinking. With the multitudes of colors to choose from, not wanting a stark white kitchen should be an easy fix without ruining the rest of the interior.

Sochi, your gut is telling you "No." Go with it. :)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Bunch o fkitchens with wood walls:

Also, if not white, what color would you consider? In my opinion, gray may be more depressing in winter than a warm, creamy white.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

First a disclaimer: I love white kitchens and think that white is the way to go with your contemporary vacation home.

But the point I wanted to make it about Joa's White.
    F & B "Joa's White" is beautiful. But, personally I wouldn't consider it a substitute for white, if "white" is the overall feel your architect believes he/she/you are trying to achieve. Unless Joa's White is paired with much darker walls, it will read as a beige, albeit a lovely, multi-faceted beige. It feels warm and country.

Have you considered F & B "All White"? I ask because I don't feel like it gets the credit is deserves as a beautiful and complex white with a bit of warmth. It is so much more than "All White". (I think it gets overlooked because it is the only F& B color with a boring name. If Farrow and Ball re-named it "Tittlemouse White" or "Lapin" it would get the love and attention it deserves.)

(That said about "All White", the cooler and grayer"Strong White" is my current fav.)

I'm looking at a large sample board of Joa's White right now in my kitchen. The light is coming from the east and the room is surrounded by green (and golden) trees. Joa's White is the sample board in the middle. The background wall color is Elephant's Breadth. The trim is Wimborne White. The sample on the far left is F & B "All White". The sample above the door is "Strong White".
    {{gwi:1851913}}

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

In looking at the posts again, I don't think anybody was beating Sochi on the head for questioning her architect, I think people were objecting to the notion that the architect was automatically in the wrong because he was not listening to the client, and the mentality that architects and designers are quite often people that have an agenda of their own and ignore the client's wishes. Do you feel beaten on the head, Sochi?

I think that white is this architect's typical solution for limiting the level of "complexity" of the interior. Maybe "monochromatic" but not white would be a better solution. Also in modern architecture there is a notion that each material be essentially its "natural" color.

And white paint stands in for "plaster" which is white as opposed to its drywall substitute --and then some other things get painted white (cabinets in this case) because they are connected to the white walls and the architect wants things to blend together.

• nini804
    10 years ago

That is going to be one amazing home...what incredible memories you will make there.

I feel very certain you and your architect can come up with something together that addresses your concerns about too much white while keeping his vision for the house intact. I have always been one who knows my own limitations...I don't perform surgery on myself, represent myself at real estate closings, and I did not design my home myself. I hire people who have studied these endeavors, are credentialed, and whose work I think is good/has good outcomes. It is very obvious your architect is talented! I think asking something on here about white kitchens is dangerous because so many are very opinionated against them, and they might advise something else simply from personal bias, not taking the entireity of your project into account.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

nini

"The Entirety Of [Sochi's] Project" is a very important statement. And I think that "entirety" is the concept that some people are either missing or Dismissing as unimportant.

As was mentioned, in the typical house, the inside and the outside don't have all that much to do with each other anymore, and that's okay. One of the most popular exterior styles has a lot of colonial revival elements, but very few people detail the inside with all colonial revival elements. The house as a whole is transitional and there will be lots of variations of what's going on.

This house is different and really needs to be considered as one whole piece. The contents, as was said, could actually be very colorful and interesting. The Eames's glass box of a house is crammed full of stuff and it looks fine.

But some people do actually change their lifestyles and pare down quite a bit in order to live in a modernist or minimalist house.This is often discussed in magazines where the owners live in very pure architectural spaces. It can be an entirely different mindset from living in a "regular house"

• mdrive
    10 years ago

hi sochi...

i would have ask BF about posting pics, he's very private...but the project was actually a commercial RE development 'gone bad' in the midst of the RE crisis....we were able to turn a 'sour lemon' into wine....we chose to use containers for the wine making strictly for utilitarian reasons at first, then once we saw how versatile there were in design, we started to take a bit more of a different view...right now we have finished the interiors (and well insulated them) with white gloss walls...along with our stainless steel wine making equipment it looks a little bit like a lab! each container has a designated use for vineyard and wine making process...(one for example houses our outdoor vineyard supplies, another for the tractors, hole digger, and other misc. outdoor equipment...

we have a friend who is a very talented artist who would love to get his hands on the containers as 'canvas'...i'm think a bit of whimsy might be in order -gg

i am so looking forward to seeing your 'cabin' in process and completed...i am certain both you and your architect will create a smashingly beautiful space!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Pal, thanks for mentioning the Eames glass box house. I google imaged it- are you talking about the Eames' 1949 Pacific Palisades house?

Anyway, it's wonderful! I haven't seen a modern home which is so cozy and warm, which is what I'm drawn to.

Sochi, your house is going to be so great.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a fascinating discussion this thread has evolved into. Very worthwhile I think, I think it will help many of us, and certainly me, understand modern design a bit better.

I'm very interested in bridging (or is it just better understanding how to navigate) the gap between considering this project (or any modernist home) as a whole - which I get and agree with -and the realities of mere mortals who may not be millionaires and who may (gasp) like some colour and warmth in their interiors.

Also, can one have a modernist home on a budget? My project is certainly one of the lowest budget (if not the lowest) budget my architect has worked on, at least for a modern build. I've been rather disheartened to think that modern design simply isn't accessible for most. The owners of a modern house in my neighbourhood, designed by the same architect, actually got rid of virtually all their belongings, to ensure that the whole was cohesive. The vast majority of people couldn't entertain ever doing something like that.

How does one infuse warmth and colour into a minimalist home? Is it still authentic? Pal suggests it is, using the Eames house as an example. What other examples can you think of?

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn, no I don’t feel like I’ve been beaten over the head! I’m okay, and I agree that I have to like the interior too. I think I will.

ineffablespace (great name), I think you’re right on regarding the sensitivities of discussing modern versus traditional and I get your point about the night time issues. Do you think the house is brutalist? I don’t think so, not that I’m an expert. The walk-out basement is concrete, but the vast majority of the house will be unstained Eastern White Cedar ��" very local, very natural, very woodsy and I would say very rustic (all of which is what I wanted ��" modern and rustic, appropriate to the landscape). Plus a small accent of rusted steel, which also isn’t out of place in the environment.

nosoccermom ��" so many great pictures, I love it! Re: what colour I might go with, I’ll discuss it with the architect, but I’m coming around on soft, warm off-whites rather than gray. There will be some gray in the white oak though... of course I could always switch my interior wood decision to birch just to change things up. Birch is cheaper, but the oak seems more rustic, had more texture.

françoise, fear not, I haven’t made any decision re: Joa’s White. I just noted it as a possibility after reading online that is played well with wood. I’m completely open to other F&B or BM colours.

ineffablespace (2) ��" my architect has specifically said that he prefers that elements remain in their natural state/colour, so you’re right on there. Interesting that you raise plaster. Early on in this process I told my architect that I preferred plaster over drywall (actually I think I said anything but drywall), but budget led us back to drywall. We will have some wood walls on the ground floor, which coupled with windows leaves not that much drywall. It might be worth pricing out the cost of plaster for the remaining walls. It is hard to describe, but plaster is so different from drywall, I’m not sure why. Is it texture? Which of course leads back to my fridge question ��" there are many areas we would spend an extra couple thousand, including plaster over drywall.

nini ��" you’re right, raising the white kitchen issue (esp. in the title!) might not have been a good move. It is almost as volatile an issue as the modern vs. trad question! Oh well.

Pal ��" my previous post addressed a few of your points. How does a mere mortal exist in a modernist home? There is a way I know, I’m just feeling my way through I guess.

Please keep the conversation going, it is fascinating.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Sochi,

Wow, rusted steel, I love love it. I have a sculptress friend who has long sought out rusty items. She tells me a dealer friend of hers refers to her as a "Rustafarian". tee hee

In re plaster. I find drywall a little sad, too. We used something called American Clay? It can be custom mixed to any color (although it def took some trial and error), and it can be applied as delicately or as heavy as you wish. I think most people do not even notice it in our house, until they look closely. But it gives a certain depth I really like.

Since it was part of a very large project, I don't recall the numbers specifically but I don't recall it being much more expensive the say, the FnB we used.

Here is a link that might be useful: See

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Look at Dwell magazine if you want to see lots of modernism with comfortable interiors.

Modernism is not inexpensive. There is no trim to cover any inconsistencies. Much of the really early details like No trim and doors that open to the ceiling were quickly dropped because of the precision construction needed. Everything is exposed. Now at least they do make some prefab plaster/drywall profiles and have some pretty minimal looking things that are standard rather than custom.

• User
    10 years ago

On keeping the cost of Modern construction down- many companies are using prefab and modular construction techniques to keep the cost of construction down. These techniques also reduce construction waste and can be much more energy efficient. I think that the push for lower cost modern housing is a lot stronger in areas like South America and Europe because there is a bit more desire for the style.

As far as color and warmth- this is variable among the architects. Some Modern architects stick to cool, limited palettes which can be very stark while others incorporate warm tones. Color can be added in to both but the cozy, warm feel is not so easy to add back in.

Modern houses that have no wood often lack warmth as do those that use wood but in an overly gray tone. But just shifting to a warm tone of wood may not be the answer if it does not fit within the architect's vision. For instance, if you look at the kitchen you posted in the fridge discussion, changing its wood to a warmer tone would throw off the balance, especially with that massive, dark fireplace. In spaces that have reduced visual clutter and often use repetition of linear elements to create visual interest the need for balance and equity is so important. To shift tones or warmth or even size without taking into account the space as a whole can create a mess.

Making Modern livable for a family that is not overly minimalist is also in some ways dependent on the architect. Some create more built in storage, rolling partitions, even walls of curtains to keep everything hidden. Others can create a modern space that can accept a little bit of real lifes items out in the open without looking amiss.

• rosie
    10 years ago

The modern I like is simple, elegantly simple, with few different finishes, but very comfortable. Minimalist does not equate to either austere or cold, although it can be developed in those manners. If modern also floats in the air and has a beautiful relation with beautiful surroundings, I'm in love.

I didn't build a modern home because we simply couldn't afford to do it well enough. Modern simplicity showcases quality, good and bad, and excludes most standard construction techniques and joint materials. Plaster was off our list, sadly.

I think just being in that house will be exhilarating, and the chair you posted pinged very nicely with me. These are both warming; and I believe making comfort, both physical and emotional, in all ways it can be offered without clutter, a priority is an important way to achieve the warmth you want.

When people think modern, I suspect some are just remembering open white wall and sheets of glass more than, say, rigidly squared off, severely constructed sofas placed too far apart. But without perching on the front edge or without an arm to lean back into, how do you converse with the person alongside--the only person available--without getting a crick in your neck?

IMO, simple comfort's the key and lack of it responsible for 90% of modern's bad rep with some people. People do get carried away developing those few, exquisite lines and nothing else. So, maybe very simple lines, but ones that hide the complexity of the kind of good quality upholstery that feels wonderful to settle into? Fortunately, your space is too small for people to have to settle for exchanging smiles and a wave of a drink from across the coffee table, but hopefully positioning will facilitate interaction? And no one gets stuck with a seat that faces into the setting sun every afternoon?

• blfenton
    10 years ago

athome- thanks for posting the Olive_bridge home - it is so beautiful in it's simplicity. I strive for that minimalist look - fall well short but hope to live in it before I finish living in homes.

And - it even has sochi's HBC blanket. It can be done!

edited to correct spelling

This post was edited by blfenton on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 18:07

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

athome - we looked into modular, but unfortunately it wasn't cheaper - you need to be pretty close to the factory to keep it affordable and not off-set too much of the green cred that modular enjoys. I would have liked to have gone modular, but in the end I wanted an architect to design specifically for our rather complex site.

The walk out basement in our house will have a fairly large family/play room, a bedroom with two bunk beds and a full bath - so part of the strategy is to concentrate some of the effects of real life with kids on that level. But we'll let them upstairs from time to time too!

The Olive bridge house is gorgeous, they use the same knotty cedar that we'll use. Plus the HBC blanket! Their interior is making me re-think the white oak vs. birch choice we made though.

• sochi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an exterior picture of the Olive Bridge House. I have to admit I find the exterior a little too choppy with the white. Too much going on? The front left extension looks a bit like a mobile home parked in front of the house. Still, I'd take it.