SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Blended families after you're an adult

neetsiepie
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I was having a conversation with someone the other day and I said "my mom's husband". They replied with "oh, you mean your stepfather?" No, I meant my mom's husband because I've never thought of him as a 'father' in any way. My father passed away when I was 39. My youngest child was 11, so my kids have fond memories of their Grandfather. My mother remarried when I was 40.

I've never considered L to be my 'step-father'. He's got adult children and they're not my step-sisters-in fact, I would not be able to recognize them on the street, and we live in the same town! I don't think I've even been around them more than twice in over 18 years!

My nieces and nephews were babies when my dad passed, and they don't have any memory of him, and they call my mom's husband Mr. L. My kids just refer to him as L, and my dad is Grandpa.

Has anyone else been in this situation where their parents remarried when their children were adults? Or have you remarried when your children were adults? If so, do you refer to your parents partner as your 'step-'? What of their children?

ETA-I want to be clear, I have a good relationship with L, I just have no feelings that he's in any way a parent to me.

Comments (40)