SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Freestanding Tub Drain Leaks

numbersjunkie
5 years ago

The plumber used the 123Connect drain rough recommended by the Tub Manufacturer (Neptune). The tub included a pop-up drain. When the drain is closed, I can hear water trickling through the overflow vent, and the tub gradually loses water. It seems like the rate of water loss has increased over time.

The plumber says the pop up drain needs to be replaced, and I have requested a new drain from the manufacturer to see if that will solve the problem. We don't think it will, and are concerned that the leak is occurring around the drain flange. DH looked through the boxes we have from the project and found what looks like a silicone seal. The install instructions show such a part, but the diagram is poor quality so its hard to know if that's what we found. We think the plumber may not have installed the seal and/or not used a circle of silicone around the drain flange as the install instructions "recommend". I raised this possibility with my contractor, who said that if the install was the problem, we would have water coming through the ceiling below.

Is that correct, that a water leak would be obvious? Looking at the 123 connect information, it looks as if the leak would go into the housing unit and I found a drawing that shows what appears to be weep holes that would allow any water to drain properly. If there are no weep holds, it looks like the housing would fill up and overflow would occur on top of the tile under the tub. Since there is a bead of silicone around the base of the tub, any water would not be able to escape. If water did work its way under the tile, there is an orange Ditra floor heat membrane underneath which could catch the water.

Hoping there is a PRO familiar with these drain assemblies that could tell me what would happen if the leak was around the flange. Or offer any other theories. The pop up assembly seems to work fine, so I'm not expecting that to be the solution.

FYI, here is a link to a similar drain (ours looked exactly like this), and the drawing on the second page appears to show the weep holes. Freestanding Tub Drain

Comments (6)