SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiicolorado

Input on paint colors, trim decisions , fireplace and general updates

hawaiicolorado
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I purchased this home in Colorado. It was built in 1982. All of the track lighting and old light fixtures is now gone. Most are being replaced with recessed lights and updated fixtures. All the popcorn ceilings is being removed now. All door handles are being updated with black lever handles. I am trying to freshen it up some more to be current without breaking the bank too much. I will be for sure replacing baseboards for simple taller ones and maybe the door frames to a larger simple square one.

Things I need advice on:

I will painting the entire interior. This space is large, vaulted and open. I was wanting a timeless color. I love the modern farmhouse look but since such a large space I would like to have a look that I hope to be in style for years to come. I would like the ceiling to be a crisp white maybe BM ceiling white. Wall color maybe BM White Dove or possibly Revere Pewter lightened 50-75% not quite sure? I want light and airy I have seen several posts where people thought White Dove looked dingy. Trim maybe BM Simply White, White or Super White? OR do I get wood baseboards and stain them a natural color. Doing the whole interior paint scheme the same throughout.

Should I leave door frames a natural color or paint white (they are being replaced no matter what I do with larger simple frames)? If I painted white I don't think I would paint the doors since they are solid wood and beautiful. I would hate to cover them up. Or do they look dated? See picture for inspiration. Or does that look strange? Would I also need to paint window frames and windows? Windows are real wood.

Should I do anything to the fireplace? I am adding a rustic simple hearth to it as of now. Also taking down light fixtures on fireplace and adding a flat screen TV there. The electrician will be using one of the light fixtures to wire TV.

Also should I leave up grass cloth wallpaper on the one wall in dining room it in good shape?

Any other suggestions that could update the space would greatly be appreciated too.

Thanks for all of the help.

Sharing actual pictures of the home and inspirations pics I found.

Front Entry

Fireplace

Living area looking toward dining and front entry

Dining room. Should I leave up this grass cloth wallpaper? This picture also shows the window framing

Upstairs overlook

Upstairs overlook.

Close up of doors. This is in basement but they all look like this.

INSPIRATION PICTURES BELOW

Door framing and baseboards like above maybe?

Another picture of white framing with wood doors.

Adding wood hearth like this but lighter wood tone.

This shows the baseboards done but not the door frames done in white. Does it look weird?

The look of just wood tone and no white trim. Wood here is darker than my home.

I am stumped on what to do. Please help!

Comments (10)