SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reniecpa

Anyone used or have any input on these Benjamin Moore paint colors?

5 years ago

Sailcloth

Ballet White

French Canvas

I brought home slew of samples today and I think these are my top 3 I'd like to get samples of. Wondering if any of you have tried these on your walls and your thoughts? This will be for wall color, not trim. My trim color is pretty darn close to BM Swiss Coffee (in another brand). I'm looking for a neutral, slightly darker than cream, but not too yellow or gray/green. My room faces east and gets very little direct light because the windows look out onto a covered patio, which is why I'm looking to brighten it up.

This is the room and a mood board for the look I want.

Thanks!

Comments (37)

• 5 years ago

Those are all nice choices. However, the way they'll look in your home can be different than another's home due to lighting. You need to buy sample cans of the 3 and test them out on large pieces of core board. Move them around the room throughout the day to check for lighting. It's really the best way to judge. I like your mood board!

Serena Butler thanked chloebud
  • 5 years ago

I have the strip with French Canvas on it and I see a lot of green in it. Don't you? I picked it up after someone here posted a picture of their gorgeous light-filled living room and I had to ask their wall colour. It's a sophisticated chameleon and I'd try it even if I weren't keen on green. (But I don't know Swiss Coffee so I've no clue if they'd play well together.)

Serena Butler thanked tartanmeup
  • Related Discussions

Has anyone used Benjamin Moore's "Rodeo" or lighter gray paint?

Q

Comments (1)
    You might get more responses posting this on the Home Decorating forum along with photos. There are several posters who have tested the grays and might be able to help.
    ...See More

Having to use Behr over SW or Benjamin Moore

Q

Comments (17)
    So they started painting the ceilings - they scraped the popcorn, and primed and painted two coats of ceiling paint. I am very impressed with the scraping, and the application of a very light orange peel - it looks great. I am not impressed with the ceiling paint job, and have a call into the contractor. There is one hand sized area where they must have painted some dirt in. Overall, it needs one more coat. It's really noticeably thicker and whiter on the edges. There are a couple of places in the middle where you can see they rolled it on thicker in two of the rooms. And then to top it off, DH brought the ladder in the DR so I can start painting in there tomorrow. He gets the too tall ladder by mistake, and scrapes the ceiling! It's only about a half a fingernail size, but now they will have to prime and correct that. I'm hoping it won't be noticeable. I chose a Martha Stewart color called Garden Shed. They had to color match that one since it's actually a Glidden color.
    ...See More

Anyone used Benjamin Moore's "Dove wing" as a wall color?

Q

Comments (4)
    I used it in a bath with Cloud White trim and really loved it. Very soft and serene. Sorry, no pictures. I don't think it would do well with a really bright white, though. Here's a photo from Houzz (not my house!) Here is a link that might be useful: [Dove Wing walls, white trim[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/dove-wing-benjamin-moore-phbr0lbl-bl~l_50581?fi=48)
    ...See More

Anyone have Benjamin Moore Clay Beige painted on their walls?

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't have a picture handy nor did I use Clay Beige in a living room, but I did paint the main bathroom in my summer home Clay Beige. After many attempts at finding just the right color for the room, I selected Clay Beige and I love it. I know this is not the living room information you're looking for, but I thought I would provide you with my two cents--we love the color. It's a neutral with a clay/green cast--goes with many different colors.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

@tartanmeup yes, I definitely see more green in it, especially as compared to the Ballet White. They are both great colors that I will buy samples of & swatch. Curious as to whether anyone here had experience in their own homes. I"ll have to make some sample boards and see how it looks in my living room. This room does some strange things with paint colors!

• 5 years ago

Good luck! It can get expensive trying out BM samples.

Serena Butler thanked tartanmeup
  • 5 years ago

holy cow, Hollybar thank you!

• 5 years ago

I was buying sample pots at my local paint store today. They had 18"x24" FoamPRO boards (actually more like paper poster board, but with one slick side that did not buckle when I applied paint). In the past I have used 24"x24" pieces of sheet rock. I like the FoamPRO better for sampling because they are lightweight and I can tape them to the wall instead of having to prop them up on something. I considered Samplize, but painters are coming Saturday and I don't have time for them to be mailed. Just another option...

You really need to see large samples in the space you are painting. My living room and dining room are adjacent and both have large SW facing windows. The same paint looks different in each room. I could try to explain why, but probably have said enough. Best wishes!

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have Ballet White in our dining room. I think it is a lovely color in this light. There are two large windows in this room one NW front facing and one SW on the side.

• 5 years ago
    @wmsimons85 do you have a picture?
  • 5 years ago

I had my living and dining room painted Pale Oak for several years. Living has western exposure and dining has eastern. The rooms are in tandem and both have good natural light. I swear I saw a lavender undertone in the mornings in the west facing room (could have been from the blue house across the street). I love it in the dining room, where I detect no undertones.

Anyway, I repainted the living room in Sail Cloth last spring and am really pleased with it. As far as its "colorfulness" goes, it's similar to Pale Oak, but it's warmer to my eye. LRV is similar, too, with Sail Cloth reflecting a tad more light. It's basically a light cream without leaning yellow. I find it to be soft and pretty.

I have no experience with the other colors you listed. I have a swatch of Ballet White and when I compare it to Sail Cloth, Ballet looks more green (?) and Sail Cloth appears to have more "color". But, it is dark here now and I'm under artificial light, so my comparison probably isn't the best.

I'd be interested in hearing about what you see when you get your samples up.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Sailcloth and White Dove trim

Sail Cloth w/more light

Ballet White

French Canvas

french canvas and white dove.

seems like Ballet and French canvas have a green undertone to them

Serena Butler thanked Beth H. :
  • 5 years ago

@wmsimons85, thank you for the pics! your room is lovely!

@ Beth_H, thank you for the photos! the middle pic of French Canvas is gorgeous!

• PRO
    5 years ago
    There are elements that are important to consider when selecting off white colors. Your trim needs to be a step lighter or darker than your wall color. I will do an analysis if your choices tomorrow.
    Serena Butler thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    5 years ago

OK - I have looked up and analyzed the 4 colors you mentioned. Here are the results: BM Sailcloth - L=88; C(Chroma) 8.17; Hue Angle is 92. With a Hue Angle of 92 it puts this color in the Yellow Hue Family solidly and in the cool segment of the family. So this can have yellow tones depending on your light. French Canvas: L-89;
    C=7.6 and Hue angle is 104.4 so it is in the Yellow Hue family but moving toward the Yellow/Green family so it is not surprising that you might see some green come through. It is also in the cool segment. Ballet White: L 88.6; C 8; and Hue Angle 94. The Hue Family is Yellow and in the cool segment. So it is light, but will lean yellow. BM Swiss Coffee is L 92 (lightness high); C 5.385; Hue Angle is 101 so it is in the Yellow Hue Family as well, moving toward the Yellow/Green family. So, what does this tell you. French Canvas will lean toward some green in most light. From experience some have had issues with Ballet white due to light making it go yellow when they wanted a more white. Again, it would be hugely helpful if you could get your lighting as close to what you will have and then go from there. Hope this helps.

• 5 years ago

I just tried to take a wall color photo of Ballet White for you but when I look at the color in the photo against the wall in the flesh it is not accurate at all. It appears to be a totally different color. I am sorry I am no help.

I am happy with Ballet White in my room and I tried dozens of white samples. I chose a different soft white for the living room and hall which leads to upstairs all the same color but looks totally different in the different spaces. So definitely suggest using large samples on the walls in your own space as suggested.

Serena Butler thanked wmsimons85
  • 5 years ago

thank you all so much! I looked at all my samples in the morning light. My room faces East and the windows look out onto the covered patio, so bright direct sunlight doesn't really happen in here, but a sunny morning is the closest thing. Sail Cloth is darker than what I want. I can see it going drab & much darker in the afternoon/evening in this room. The green in French Canvas really came out in the morning light. I also had samples of Navajo white and Lancaster Whitewash, both of which were more yellow than I want. A couple others I had were too gray/cool compared to my creamy off-white sofa. Ballet White was the clear winner. The right depth of color, but no strong undertones coming through.

I might run to Sherwin Williams and bring home paint chips of Creamy, Gossamer Veil & Aesthetic White and see what those do.

Thank you all so much for your input and help!

• 5 years ago

PS....I like BM paint, but they have made their paint sample process so hard! There's the OC colors, HC, CP, PM. Why not have them all in one grouping? Forget trying to look & find the paint chips yourself. It seems much more confusing than the way Sherwin Williams is laid out.

• 5 years ago

HI -- My new love is "Greek Villa " by Sherwin Williams paints . You know the walls and trims do not have to be different colors . It looks great having walls and all trims the same color . Fresh looking new way to do things . Windows and doors do not need to be outlined including the baseboards .

• 5 years ago

@lefty47, I'll look at that one too! I agree the ceiling trim & walls same color is a great look. But I do not want to open that can of worms! Our trim color is a nice neutral white and I don't want to mess with it at this point.

• PRO
    5 years ago
    Are you buying all new furniture? Keeping some? You need to get those things determined before you select wall color. Whites and off whites often end up fighting with each other so if you just want to paint those darker walls, paint them with BM or SW base white. You will need to block that darker color in any case. This will really help you with ultimate paint decision.
  • 5 years ago

@Flo, I have the furniture already. Did that first. I have 2 creamy off-white slipcovered sofas, and 2 teal blue English roll arm chairs and a new Karastan rug that I used as my jumping off point. In my mood board on this post, that is my actual rug and pretty close to the chairs (best image I could find on google). Here's a tour around my room....

The cased opening on the left goes to the foyer with a little hall to the side with agues room/study and guest bath. I need side tables, lamps & have some vintage maps to hang on this blank wall.

There are my chairs. The ottomans will go. I'd like a coffee table and then maybe a couple of small foot stools to move around as needed. Once we save the money, I have plans for a wall of built in shelving on wall where TV is. TV will go in center of built-in.

Panning around the room.....I need a small side table & small lamp (or floor lamp) for the chair on the right.

Continuing to pan around the room....here is the fireplace & the 2 windows that look out to the covered patio & backyard. (east-facing) These pics were taken in the morning.

This was during Christmas, obviously, but looking from family room toward kitchen. Kitchen is painted same color as family room. I'd like to paint it as well, but it's not as critical as family rhombic it gets more natural light.

• PRO
    5 years ago
    That’s very helpful. What is your current wall color? That rug is very pretty. I agree a glass top metal base coffee table would help the room feel less crowded. The chairs are a but too large for your room. Maybe remove the one near the sofa and put in a guest room? Or master? I think i would do a very light wall color possibly even plain base white if you want lighter, brighter look in this room.
  • 5 years ago
    Thank you so much @Flo! Yes, that’s the look I’m going for....light, bright, crisp. But I don’t want it to feel cold or Stark. The sofas aren’t white, they’re an off-white denim fabric. So I’m trying to go with that without gettin a wall color TOO yellow-creamy.

What would you do behind the floating sofa where I currently just have a little black bench?

And if I remove 1 blue chair, would you scoot that other sofa down some & add tables & lamps on both ends? (Like my mood board pic) ?
  • 5 years ago
    Ps to the current paint color. It’s Stonington Beige by Glidden/PPG/ICI....whatever they go by now. Here’s a pic of Revere Pewter next to it for reference. It’s similar but mine has a little more gold in it I guess whatever it is, it looks like poo-poo in this room! But these are the things You dont think of hen you build a house.....how’s the light gonna affect paint color room to room. Here’s also a pic of my foyer in the SAME color. Crazy.
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Yea way too much color for you light. I think a narrow sofa table would be great behind the floating sofa. And yes a small table on end of other sofa might work. Just depends on sizing of coffee table. I am going to check some light non-yellow colors for you and see what might work best.
  • 5 years ago
    Here is the Ballet White in the bedroom. Please excuse the room decor as I am in the process of updating it. I just painted a month ago and love the color. The room is north facing and doesn’t get much natural light. It shows different tones during the day but never dull and drab. It does not have a super crisp feel if you are looking for it, more of a calm, relaxing kind of tone. Maybe it will be more crisp in the room with more natural light. I am considering using this paint for the living and dining rooms where there is more light.
  • 5 years ago
    I also used it in the bathroom where there is more natural light.
  • 5 years ago

Really pretty room. I would also suggest checking Benjamin Moor Dove Wing. I chose that for our master bedroom which has NE facing windows and do like it a lot and did sample a number of other whites before choosing this one.

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

LS start your own new thread if you expect someone to respond. This previous thread has no bearing on your question.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I have moved to using all samplize.com samples. So much easier. Order your favorite 3 or 4 and your trim color. And, the best part no extra paint to dispose of!! Give yourself 4 days approx to receive but you will have much better results.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Flo, would you happen to know if Samplize ships to Canada? I had looked into it a while back and didn't see anything on their site.

ETA: Revisited the site and found the info! "For expedited, international, or lower volume orders, we have access to USPS commercial shipping rates and pass those savings on to you. Shipping costs are automatically calculated by USPS."

• PRO
    4 years ago

Not sure tartan. I can check.

• 4 years ago

Thanks, Flo. :) We cross-posted. I see now they do ship internationally. Would be nice to have an idea of the shipping costs and any duties. I'll contact them next time I need sample colours.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Fiddled and fiddled with samplize website and finally discovered they only use USPS For shipping at this time.

• 4 years ago

Thanks, Flo.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Tartan. I sent question to their website and go response. They DO ship Internationally, but you have to pay the shipping charges. So that’s something. Might not be worth it. I know I get them for $5.99 each free shipping. Sample jars vary from one paint company to another in cost but this is great deal for my purposes.

• 4 years ago

You're a peach, Flo! Thanks for that info. I fear that custom or duties might apply as well in which case, it wouldn't be worth it. BM sample cans are $11 Cdn with taxes for me. Honestly, I find the quantity too generous. I miss the little jars they used to have.