SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazerolm_3a

Thought I was done for this year...

mazerolm_3a
5 years ago

Then I purchased viridiflora tulips and a Cora Louise Itoh peony! :) It’s a bit late to plant in my zone, so I’m trying to keep a lid on my expectations! Anyone else still planting?

Comments (36)

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

Yes I just planted some allium bulbs and divided a few things. The day turned out sunny after many gloomy rainy days. It felt good to be out there :)

mazerolm_3a thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    5 years ago

Still dividing and moving things- maybe one more weekends worth then it's onward to leaf shredding time.

mazerolm_3a thanked cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
  • Related Discussions

OK! Who stole my pennyroyal?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have tons of penny royal growing in my back yard , but it is under 20 inches of snow right now. Would be glad to send you some in the spring if you give me a holler then.If we get a snow melt and I can get to it I will let you know. Deb DementedDeb1@aol.com
    ...See More

Just when I thought I was done.................

Q

Comments (2)
    My thought on this is that you can clean the house until it's totally spotless, but about 10 minutes after the company arrives it looks like you never did anything. I'm playing in the yard until it's either raining or too cold...
    ...See More

I thought I was done.

Q

Comments (2)
    Since your in zone 5 I am not sure they will grow well but this year I had Brandywine and Arkansas Traveler, The Arkansas Traveler looked just like the ones in the grocery stores smaller than a baseball perfectly round and they ripened faster than the Brandys you could pick at first blush and they looked pretty ripening on the windowsill, The plant itself was one of those monster plants that really need super tall support. As for taste comparison I did prefer the Brandys even if they were ugly just because they were ummmm sweeter I guess would be the word the Ark Travlers were of more acid flavor like the store bought ones. But for sheer volume of production the Ark Travlers were far more productive but I noticed that the rats and birds ate the Ark Travlers over the Brandys that were in the same bed so go figure, I guess in the wild life population the Ark Travlers won in the taste tests.LOL. The Ark Travlers are an heirloom that will tolerate heat better and they did that very well still setting fruit after the Brandys pooped out. I am not sure if this helps but I hope so. :o)Deanna
    ...See More

Well I thought I was done Christmas shopping....

Q

Comments (10)
    I feel your pain! I got a crockpot for DS and DSIL because they really, really wanted one. I guess they really did, cause they went out and bought one! Grandson loves Spiderman so being the amazing Grandma that I am, I went out and got the cutest Spiderman backpack, water bottle and a couple of other goodies. Guess what!!! His dad found the same one at Kohl's and couldn't wait to get it for him! I bought a Maya Angelou book for my daughter and then she phoned. Yep, she had already bought it!! I never liked the idea of giving money or gift certificates but it is really beginning to appeal to me! Bettye
    ...See More
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

Yea, sure am. I scored some free plants last week and got them planted over the weekend, and I've been eyeballing a particular tree that's on sale. The only reason I haven't purchased it is I need DH's truck to pick it up, and couldn't use the truck. I have a rental next weekend because my car needs service, I asked ahead to reserve an SUV or pickup so I can go get this tree if it's still there -- nothing like planning ahead LOL!

mazerolm_3a thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mxk3: awesome! Two birds, one stone :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

^^ Yea, but let's hope the tree is still there! It's that time of year nurseries start packing it up for the season and putting unsold woodies into storage.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    5 years ago

Most years I aim to wrap things up by Christmas ;)

This year I'm intensely unmotivated though. Endless cloudy days and rain have sapped my enthusiasm for planting, and when I do get out there I just wander aimlessly checking things out. I will resist the clearance sales this month I swear.

mazerolm_3a thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • GardenHo_MI_Z5
    5 years ago

“I just wander aimlessly checking things out.”

Haha! I can so relate!!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    5 years ago

Just picked up some Montauk daisies for $1 each on the clearance rack. Since I’m starting over at a new house, it was hard to resist.

mazerolm_3a thanked Saypoint zone 6 CT
  • LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    5 years ago

I would have been finished 2 weeks ago, but the mail order nursery messed up my order and did not send the crocuses I ordered, and then resent them late. So planning to get those in next weekend. My garlic at home is in, but need to get in the community garden, which has the best sun. Also planned for next week.

mazerolm_3a thanked LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought I was done after posting this in gardenweb, then yesterday I stopped at a local nursery and they had this big, 6 foot tall blue spruce at 40% off. I ”had” to take it home! It’s now planted and looks awesome from my kitchen window! I did not tell DH about it, I wonder when he’ll notice! :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I have 20 more daff bulbs to plant if I can think of just the right spots to plant them and the rain stops. Then I'm done planting.

mazerolm_3a thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • User
    5 years ago

There isn't much of an 'off' season in the UK so I am still sowing seeds and pricking out/putting up and planting out...although I can see an end to planting out. Tight now, this season's seeds are at their freshest and best...and in the case of many perennials, this freshness absolutely underscores viability...especially umbellifers. So, have been waiting on new seeds of pimpinella major, chaerophyllum hirsutum, peucedanum officionale, anemone multifida and patrinia punctiflora, which arrived today. Part of my 'wild garden' plans for woodland edges, along with the mulleins and pinks I planted out a couple of weeks ago.

I am officionally in knitting season - finally finished a dragonwing shawl I started last year...and making a start of the Xmas knitting (lots of Shetland Fairisle gloves and hats this year).

mazerolm_3a thanked User
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    5 years ago

It's good to hear some of you are finding such good deals and that you still have time to plant. We've already had a hard freeze and many frosts.

I finished getting in the bulbs earlier this week, and all I can say about being done planting for the year is......Woohoo! Anything still in a pot has to do its best to survive winter and wait for next spring to get planted. I'm done!

mazerolm_3a thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I did not tell DH about it, I wonder when he’ll notice! :)

I do this all the time! Almost all the time she fails to notice until weeks later,,,,or sometimes never!

mazerolm_3a thanked rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
  • dbarron
    5 years ago

Probably the spouses just walk by, look at changes, and shake head. It's all inane or maybe insane to them.

mazerolm_3a thanked dbarron
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

DH threw in the towel many years ago. Now I have “carte blanche” in the yard! :)

• wildhaven
    5 years ago

I read through this thread with such a smug feeling yesterday morning. I had long since planted my modest selection of bulbs and three pots of clearance daisies and was proud of myself for not falling for every clearance rack since.

Then I went to HD to pick up some paint and saw their shrubs were 75% off. Two of them somehow came home with me. Oh, well... at least it gave my husband something to laugh about.

mazerolm_3a thanked wildhaven
  • Skip1909
    5 years ago

I still had a bunch of plant plugs sitting in trays, I finally dug up some turf and planted around 25 of them today. Somehow there are still more. I have bareroot trees to plant when they finally go dormant

mazerolm_3a thanked Skip1909
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

Bought (5) "Snowcap" shastas yesterday at 50% off and (3) Annabelle hydrangea at 70% off -- have to fill in the new border with something next spring, don't I ? LOL!

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@mxk3: did you get the coveted tree? :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

I'll find out this weekend -- I pick up the rental truck on Friday.

• wildhaven
    5 years ago

Dropped by Lowes for patching compound and saw there were still a handful of plants in the nursery -- all for 50 cents each. So that's how I came home with two Black Lace elderberry trees for $1.

mazerolm_3a thanked wildhaven
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Holy cow!! 1$ for a Black Lace elderberry?! That’s gotta be the deal of the year!

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

I still have around 6 perennials to plant from a late mail order I placed with Santa Rosa gardens. The only problem is that it snowed yesterday. Thankfully, it was a light snowfall. I wonder if I can still plant. Any opinions are appreciated.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

That's a good question, and I'd say it's temperature-dependent. Heck, I've planted well into November before, but this year probably not a good idea at this point. Reason I say this is the ground is starting to freeze -- it'll be another month or so until it freezes solid to the freeze line, but the top layers are definitely starting to freeze. Where I am (SE Michigan), temps predicted in the 30s for the next week, overnights in the mid-20s. So yea -- the downward slide has begun. If you plant now, the roots will struggle to get a foothold, you're more likely to lose them.

If you have a spot that's isn't starting to freeze and you can mulch the cr*p out of them to stave off the freeze for a bit longer, then it might be okay. I think they'll be better off in pots in storage (unheated shed or garage) until spring. I have a few bushes I got on clearance I'm going to have to store. They'll be fine - get them well-watered before they freeze, keep them dormant through the winter, and give them some water when they start to thaw in spring (I pack snow on the pots Jan or Feb, when the temps warm the snow melts slowly and waters the rootballs gently the thoroughly).

I went to the nursery to buy that tree yesterday (that I've been thinking about for MONTHS now...), and I decided against it, for the reason I noted above. I'd have to store it in the barn until next spring, and the rootball is big and heavy (it's a B&B that they stuck in a huge pot) so that means I'd somehow have to haul it out of storage in the spring all the way across the property to where I want to plant it. So, if I bought it now, I wouldn't reap the benefits of fall planting and would have a heck of time getting the thing to the planting hole -- I might as well just wait until spring, sometimes saving $$ isn't worth the aggravation. They told me they're putting things into storage over the next week, so I figure the tree will be there in the spring, hopefully I'll be able to buy it then -- that way I can just drive the truck to the hole and DH and I can pull it out and plant it.

5 years ago

I might have you all "beat" ie tomorrow I am driving 1.5 hours one way to a nursery to look at JMs recently put into storage, now without leaves with the intent to buy something :(.

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@mk3x: what kind of tree is it?

@rouge: I’m so envious, I love Japanese maples!! Courageous of you buying without seeing the foliage! :)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

It is a multi-trunk paperbark maple. PMs are gorgeous trees; I have one with a single trunk, but I have my heart set on a multi-trunk one, and they can be somewhat elusive. Well, like I said, I doubt the nursery is going to sell out of the ones they have, so I'll be out there in the spring plunking down the $$$.

Rouge: Why are you going to go through all that to get a JM now? Is there something about this particular nursery, or the price?

mazerolm_3a thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

Courageous of you buying without seeing the foliage!

mazerolm, you are being way to diplomatic ;).

mxk3, I agree it makes not alot of sense to purchase so late in the year but this summer I have become obsessed with JMs and although I have never visited particular nursery has a reputation of having an excellent selection of JMs.

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

I was able to plant all 8 perennials on Sunday. The weather was in the low 40's, but sunny and the ground wasn't frozen. Not too bad of a day actually. That's it. I'm now officially done planting for 2018. :-)

• linaria_gw
    5 years ago

Yey, slaved away in the garden today, "just redoing" a narrow long border which serves as screen to the neighbouring alottment. i had the plants all sorted after heeling them in for a while, done a scetch about which plant should go where, orhabinzed a helper who could join me for 2 hours and managed to get in all the Darwin-hybrid tulips and some tiny bulbs like Scilla bifolia, Chionodoxa and a new-to-me Allium azureum (or some such)

was I glad when I sunk the last bulb into the soil, then some clearing up, organizing Dahlias and gathering tools...

the forecast mentioned light frost for the weekend, and I just managed to race it...

have a nice werkend every one, bye, Lin

this is what about 100

tulip bulbs look like, I really worked hard to plant them very deep, hoping that they survive light weeding undamaged...

And that's it after planting, not much, but still...

I'm hoping that the Panicum Cloud Nine makes it over the winter well, I diveded a huge clump and used 4 divisions

• LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    5 years ago

Well, so, minding my own business I end in Lowes. They had finally marked down their bulb packages: 50% off. So, I pick up a bag of 45 - originally price $14.98, now marked down to $7. When I get to the check out, the cashier says they have now been marked down to $2. So, of course, I need to go back and buy the remaining 9 bags! Now I have 450 bulbs to plant some non-existent where...

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

and that's why I stopped going to Lowes and Home Depot! LOL. Too much temptation to buy clearance bulbs. And of course, all of the online nurseries are having 40-50% off on their bulbs right now. We had about an inch of snow, but I don't believe that the ground is frozen. Still, I'm done. Have fun planting. I've done that before and really don't mind planting on a sunny crisp day.

• wildhaven
    5 years ago

Wow. My local Lowes only discounted their bulbs once, by 25%, and then pulled the racks. No further discount. It's sort of surprising considering they're willing to sell $25 shrubs for 50 cents at end of season, but not bulbs? It's not like they'll be able to sell them next year. Oh well... I'm totally done with the garden now. Have fun with your bulbs!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    5 years ago

I planted 8 plugs if Stipa ichu yesterday and 5 1 gallon Muhlenbergia emersleyi. I still have 6 small yuccas to plant in the rough and 5 kidneywoods and three wafer ash.. My only problem is I have a crew coming over and started building interior walls, plumbing and electrical. We need to get into designing and building cabinets for our house.... .