SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elbell19

Curb Appeal / facade help!

elbell19
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Folks

We added a porch and did our kitchen a couple of years ago and just never got around to finishing up the front. This was mostly due to not being able to commit and not having a design we liked. So, we're turning to you wonderful houzz people for ideas / help.

Here's how it looked when we started a while back.....yes, the house was frozen in 1979:

I've never been a fan of snout houses, but for reasons too lengthy to get into here, we're making the best of this one :)

Here is where we are now:

I just realized I don't have a great close-up of the porch currently, just this mid-construction one:

The red door is now a unstained wood door and, as you can see int he other pics, we painted the beams white (may be regretting that right now). We put cedar shingles above the door and painted them and I think that was the beginning of "we have no plan here and need to stop." I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Anyway, what to do...We've got painted cedar shingles above the door, pine decking above the porch, and a alder unstained door. Ugh. We also have stacked stone on those pillars.

So, questions:

(1) Garage Door: I guess we need to decide whether to go camo-style and just paint the garage door same color as siding (?) or embrace the snout and replace the garage door with something nice / stylish?

(2) Front door / decking / shingles: stain all same shade (doing the mixing work it will take to get them close to the same shade given the different types of wood)?

(3) Shingles above door: keep painted? Re-do and stain?

(4) above garage door: shingles like above entry door? Other options?

anyway, that's where we're at. Any suggestions welcome. We're also happy to upload any photo requests.

matt & lisa

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!