SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Best way to cover/disguise painted-over adhesive squiggles on walls?

AMS
5 years ago

Hi all,

I bought a 1945 house a few months ago. I'm slowly making improvements and focusing on public areas first. One room that I have neglected is my bedroom - and it has some serious challenges! As you may or may not be able to tell from the photos below, the walls are textured plaster (there seems to be sand or fine grit mixed in?), AND the walls are adorned with random squiggles of adhesive. I expect that the room used to have some kind of paneling (the upstairs still has some - it's very thin, almost like sheets of wood veneer). I asked the previous octogenarian owner when she removed the paneling, and she said she never did - she lived with the squiggles on the walls for the 20 years she was there (!).

Anyway, they're awful. Does anyone have suggestions for covering/hiding?

Some of my initial thoughts:

1) Sand them off. This sounds horrible and messy, plus the adhesive is black and the internet says it might contain asbestos (I just mailed a sample in for testing today, so we'll see).

2) Get all the walls skim coated. This sounds expensive, but I haven't gotten quotes yet.

3) Try to cover the walls in anaglypta or some other thick wall paper. I wonder if it won't stick due to the texture?

4) Put thin paneling BACK on with MORE adhesive? Is there such thing as paneling that would look nice on all 4 walls of a bedroom?

5) Go all out and cover the walls in fabric - like, wall to wall curtains or shirred fabric, like a super low rent version of this (this honestly would probably be the most expensive/least practical option - can you tell I'm overthinking?!).

I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (23)