SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_97690999

Looking for an HE Powder Detergent - Hamstrung by Indecision

Vasiliki Demmas
5 years ago

Hello,

This is my first time posting, so it is a bit long and rambling;) Since I found this forum a few weeks back, I've been reading through obsessively and thank everyone here for such detailed advice. Adding ammonia, which I learned about on this site (I add it to my FL's LFS dispenser) has greatly improved my quality of life:)

I started down the laundry rabbit hole when I became determined to solve the stinky towel problem. I'd been doing all of the obvious things like leaving the door open, using less detergent, running the "clean" cycle with bleach (that did help - but I'm not one to run a bleach load every week or even month as some do), but then read where one must clean the drain pump filter (mine was really dirty!) - so I found a good YouTube video and did that as well as another thorough clean of all rubber parts.

I felt that I had done the best I could with the machine itself (a 2008 WP Duet Sport which up until now I've despised), and then came across this forum when searching about best laundry practices. So, I started with the ammonia. Since then, I've ordered STPP (hard water, here), considering ordering sodium percarbonate to pair with the ammonia for whitening ( I never bleach and stay away from whites with the exception of my son's baseball pants and generally use Dawn and hydrogen peroxide mix for those awful stains).

I also have learned here that powdered HE detergent is the way to go to keep my machine clean. I prefer absorbency to softness when it comes to towels, and our family of three does not care too much about the softness of our clothes - we just want them clean and fresh-smelling - and it sounds like powder is great for that, too. For a long time we used scented detergents in attempt to get that clean smell, but the holy grail for me would be to have truly clean clothes - no artificial smells needed. Although, I do love a very faint "clean" scent that I remember from my childhood. I've never found that same smell in a liquid. I do lay clothes outside to dry which leave a great smell, but it's getting cold out, now.

So, I'm hoping a few laundry fanatics have made it this far, ha ha. I hesitated posting b/c there's so much good info already here, but I felt a bit paralyzed by it all. First I though to try Persil Megapearls, but some mentioned a fairly strong smell. Charlie's sounded interesting, but the frugal part of me thought that certainly there's a moderately priced powder out there for my needs. I'm really not looking to preserve nice clothing, either. I have dedicated work clothes that have stains (I work alone) - just want them clean. My son, other than baseball, is not a big mess, and my husband likely has the nicest stuff, but they're casual, sturdy clothes. I'm decent at getting a stain out before washing, so my biggest concern is having truly clean (is disinfected to a degree too much to ask for, too?) laundry.

Powdered Cheer caught my eye but could not tell if it was HE. I see people also like a Sears brand - have not checked that out. My thought, also, was just get a box of Arm and Hammer, but have not seen much about that brand on here.

Anyhow, thank you all. I look forward to contributing here (in a much briefer fashion!) and helping others as I learn more myself. I have lots of strategies for baseball pants;)

Comments (32)