SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gemom2many

Need HE detergent recommendation - Free & Clear, Whiter Whites

gemom2many
16 years ago

I've had my Duet HT pair for a little over a year, & I adore them. I'm still having issues getting my detergent choice right, though.

I must use something "free & clear", "no-nothing", etc. One of my wee ones breaks out if she even nuzzles me if I'm wearing something washed in anything with any sort of scent.

I've been using the Kirkland's (Costco) Free & Clear liquid. I use about 1/3-1/2 of the recommended amount after doing suds tests.

The problem I'm having is whites aren't coming super clean. Particularly my white shirts...it's like the detergent just isn't getting my makeup off (I use mineral makeup...so it's not smeared on the clothes, but powder does dust off here and there). Within maybe 4-6 weeks of normal wearing, the whites are super dingy and I have to do a heavy bleach load to get them white again. I hate using bleach with a passion, and would love to avoid needing it.

I do mostly cold and lukewarm washes for energy-saving purposes. Exception to this are cloth diapers; those are run about every other day on super hot, so biofilm isn't a worry.

What else...um, I use Downy Free & Clear softener for most clothing and linens loads. Vinegar with diapers. Diapers and linens get a couple of drops of tea tree oil added to the softener/vinegar to help with sanitizing.

Any recommendations after this novel?? LOL

Comments (14)