SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_848528364

What’s a considerate level of noise from neighbors?

Jessica Martinez
5 years ago

Houses are very close together, about 8 feet. My neighbor and I both have pools and caged lanais. The neighborhood is overall pretty quiet. I have lived in the house for 4 years and didn’t have any issues up until about 9 months ago when they installed an outdoor television and wired speakers.

They now host loud parties with several guests pretty much every weekend for 8+ hours a day and it’s made me completely miserable. They always have music on with thudding bass. I bought a water fountain and hoped it would help mask some of the noise, but it does absolutely nothing to help with the bass. Sunday’s are especially bad because not only are many people just talking loudly, but everyone is shouting and yelling over football on the outdoor television and I can hear all the commentary from the football games too. Unless I want to endure their noise, I am forced to wear headphones if I want to sit on my lanai. I also can never have my windows open on a weekend anymore unless I want to listen to their noise all over my house. The days of sitting outside in peace and quiet, listening to the trees rustle in the wind and the birds chirping are over.

We had been friendly in the past, so I did contact them and explained how much the noise bothers me, and they were very rude and basically told me they can do whatever they want as long as it’s prior to 10pm. I had hoped that we could come up with a compromise, say limiting the outdoor parties to once or twice a month instead of every weekend, but they shut me down so fast I didn’t even have a chance to bring it up. I’ve contacted the HOA and they don’t seem to want to get involved or even give me an answer regarding what is acceptable as far as noise volume, duration and frequency.

Am I just being too sensitive? I absolutely don’t expect silence all the time, but their noise seems excessive to me.

I would really appreciate what others think about this, thank you!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions