SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pandaroux

Noise from neighbors coming through PTACs - please help!!!

Jen K.
10 years ago

I just bought & moved into an apartment where I can hear both my upstairs and downstairs neighbors through the wall-through PTAC units. I've lived in apartments my whole adult life so I'm used to and accept a certain level of noise, but the amount that travels through the PTACs is beyond normal, or at least what I'm used to. I can hear my neighbors conversing at regular volumes and if they raise their voices a little, I can make out the words. All of my prior apartments had PTACs and I NEVER had this issue before. I always thought PTACs were stand-alone, i.e., not connected to other PTACs, but these are connected. I'm wondering if there is anything we can do to our PTACs to muffle the noise and in a way that won't prevent us from turning them on. We need them on about half of the year and can't cover them. We bought the apartment so it's not like we can just up and move. I'm considering white noise machines in all the rooms, but am hoping to have a more permanent, built-in solution. I don't expect a solution that will block out the sound entirely, but any improvement will bring my blood pressure down. Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)