SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drseattle

Help, please. Don't know what to do with noise.

drseattle
14 years ago

Hello,

I have moved into an apartment complex about nine months ago. Everything seemed to go just fine, until our current neighbors moved in. They live across from us, on the first floor, so our balconies and windows look straight at each other. The woman has three children, who scream, yell, cry at all times of day and night. She is no better herself, she will scream at them at the top of her lungs, without even trying to lower down the volume. She allows her kids to play in the hallway of the appartment, so there had been many times when we had basketball banging on our door.

I have tried talking to the manager, but he has told me there's nothing he can do, besides wait until nine pm, because that is when you're not allowed to make noise, according to the lease. Now, my fiance and I are very quiet people. We're almost never home - he studies for an MD degree, and I work, and we have a pet rabbit, who, never makes any noise, since rabbits cannot.

I do not mind the noise if it's bearable, however, when she turns on the music at extremely loud volumes, during the day on the weekend, it is almost impossible to drown it out. I do not say anything when she screams at her kids and her kids scream back, I don't say anything when she yells at them for dinner/lunch/nap, but the really loud music is almost impossible to ignore. I am forced to wear headphones just to block out the noise, but it is so loud, that it goes straight through my noise canceling headphones. Not to mention, headphones make my migraine flare up after a period of an hour.

Is there ANYTHING I can do about it, because I am at my wits end with this woman. I have tried talking to her, but she ignores me when I try to knock on her door and ask her to turn the music down. She also turns it up even MORE when she is sure she's going to get away with it. This appartment itself is just terrible, there's a heavy roach infestation in the trash chute and our bathroom is growing mold.

I am frustrated to tears.

Is there NOTHING at all I can do?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz