SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Chicken -- The Way It Used To Be

User
5 years ago

When I first married, there were two ways to buy chicken -- whole or cut up. The cut up was not all that cut up because you had to separate the wing from the breast and the leg from the thigh. So I figured that for the price savings per pound I could make a few more cuts and save money.

If you wanted to serve breasts only, you would buy enough chickens, cut off the breasts and figure out what to do with the rest of the chickens. But mainly people bought whole chickens and cooked whole chickens -- you ate the piece you preferred.

When DD's company first launched Hamburger Helper, it was very successful and so they came out with chicken helper -- it was not! Because you had to buy a whole chicken . . . there were no frozen skinless chicken breasts. Didn't last long on the market then.

I am amazed when I go to the market -- each "piece" of chicken has way more counter space than whole chickens -- often there are only a few whole chickens to choose from.

And except for those rotisserie chickens, we rarely buy a whole bird anymore preferring instead, to buy the pieces we prefer.

I'm not sure my DD could even cut up a chicken -- LOL!

Comments (29)