SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
designsaavy

Need Advice: Daughters First Kitchen

designsaavy
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My daughter and new son-n-law are buying their first home. They are planning to have gray tone wood-look floor installed throughout. My daughter pretty much likes everything white and gray and tone on tone. They are going to have the cabinets removed and painted while the floors are installed.I'd like to see if you all have any additional ideas that perhaps she and I haven't thought about.Currently her plans are to:1. Paint kitchen cabinets white. She's leaning toward a very white...white. Sherwin William's High Reflective White.2. A medium to lighter gray quartz countertop with little to no movement.3. Not sure of backsplash yet...but likely more white!4. Repose Gray painted walls all above cabinets and the walls of fireplace room connected to kitchen.5. Paint out rock on fireplace and the surround white and add a shiplap framed area above it.6. Eventually stainless steel appliances when they can afford to.They are not changing the layout or getting new cabinets.My thoughts were to perhaps add glass to a couple cabinets so its not just continuous white wall cabinets all around.It would be really nice if they could put that microwave somewhere else and put in a range hood. Not sure if that OTR microwave hood is vented and venting through the tall ceilings on an inside wall will be a pain. And even if they could relocate the microwave into a wall cabinet or shelf, its not likely theres electricity for it. :-(I also thought it would be nice if they could have that sink peninsula bar area not raised, but there are outlets on it, so I doubt they'll change that.I tried to encourage her to get tile that looked like hardwood floors to warm up the space, but she hates brown and wants it all gray wood look tiles. Specifically lighter gray. It is their house after all and I'm trying to help where I can.The tv area will be in the front entry room adjacent to this area. So no tv in fireplace room.The space by fireplace is so small because of the peninsula. Not sure what to do here. Perhaps just a couple oversized chairs and ottomans?Any other suggestions for this space?I know there are alot of creative minds here, and I know we cant really change the plans, but trying to think outside the box.

Comments (33)