SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deekay_gw

Advice on Kitchen Layout/Ideas (First Kitchen/First Home)

deekay
14 years ago

Hey All,

This is my first post. Sorry if it's long or if I make some faux pas.

Here we go....this will be our first kitchen remodel in our first house so we're hoping you guys (who seem way more experienced) can share your thoughts.

Current Kitchen:

The current kitchen is a bit dated, doesn't have gas, and we feel it's a bit dark. It's got an eating area on the right side.

The current layout has the fridge where the range is on the layout link. An original oven is located where the fridge is on the layout and to the left of that is the electric cooktop.

There are currently soffits above the cabinets with a light box that's flush with the soffits. Along the top wall there is also a phone/desk area that's lower than the rest of the counters.

There is also a large window on the left wall with the sink there.

Flow:

Going through the top entryway you hit the front door with bedrooms to the right and the living/dining room to the left.

Going through the bottom entryway you enter the family room with the garage to the left of that and the backyard to the right.

Plans:

Our main goal is to update the kitchen, brighten the space, bring in gas, and make the kitchen flow a bit better.

As you can see from the layout I currently have we're swapping the range/fridge and leaving the sink and dishwasher where they currently are. We're also considering removing all the soffits and just doing recessed lighting.

Our major limiting factor is the budget (when is it never a limiting factor).

Cabinets:

Darker chocolate/espresso color (options we're not sure yet b/c there are so many!) We'd like a pantry on the bottom wall next to the fridge (we've also thought about swapping pantry and fridge positions)

Counters:

Quartz or granite

Flooring:

Porcelain Tile

Backsplash:

Glass mosaic tiles

GE Stainless Steel Appliances

36" Counter Depth Fridge

30" Duel Fuel Range

36" 400CFM Range hood

24" Microwave

24" dishwasher

Some concerns we have are if the 36" hood over a 30" range will be strange. We're also afraid that the kitchen will feel unbalanced with more counter top space along the top wall.

We're not 100% sure about removing the soffits yet (due to budget). Most of the labor bids we've gotten are in the 20kish range (high?). We're thinking maybe it's because we're bringing in gas and bringing all the electrics up to code. We're also a bit confused about permits, we know we need them and we need them before we start, but outside of that it's a bit confusing.

If any more info is needed please let me know and I'll edit or post udpates. We're in the CA bay area if that makes any difference.

Thanks so much for reading through the post and I look forward to hearing any responses!

Comments (6)