SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_l_italien

A/C circuit board fried- could the house wiring be at fault?

Holly L'Italien
5 years ago

Hello - I had my house remodeled two years ago. A small addition was added along with new wiring, new A/C unit and ductwork. Ever since the remodel, random circuit breakers trip on a regular basis. I'm talking every two weeks or so, usually the kitchen GFI, but it can be the bathroom GFI or the washing machine.

I have had an electrician come out when the bathroom GFI would not come back on line and they discovered that the wire in the service box was broken and was no longer connected. (sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology). Otherwise, they said that the breakers are just doing what they are supposed to do - trip when the voltage gets too high.

I'm not super comfortable with this since resetting breakers on the regular is not something I've have to do anywhere else i've lived, but - hey - it's not hard and it's no big deal.

However, yesterday a small brownout occurred in my neighborhood and I heard the breakers trip. I got up and reset them.

A while later, I realized it was getting warm in the house. I checked the A/C control panel. The unit (Carrier Infinity) gave me a 179 error code (not communicating). The folks who installed it came out today and diagnosed it as a bad circuit board.

The board itself is covered under warranty, but the labor is estimated at $500 (ouch!).

Two questions:

1) Is it weird for breakers to trip that often?

2) Could faulty wiring in my house have contributed to the circuit board going bad?

Thank you for any input. I'd like to do what I can to keep from replacing these high-dollar items on an ongoing basis!

Comments (17)