SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

dishwasher sparked during install--ruined circuit?

talley_sue_nyc
12 years ago

Our dishwasher's handle/latch broke, so we got a new one (an LG, if that matters).

The installers hooked the new one up and turned the power on. The electrical current (apparently) ran along the mesh-covered water hose, and the insulation in the hose caught fire.

It didn't last long, and they took everything back out. They tested the electrical wires coming out of the wall and said, "No, the circuit is fine." (I wasn't home--I don't know what they used to test it, but DH says the guy went out and bought a new tester in case there had been something wrong w/ his original one.)

So they took out the new one, left the old one, and told us to call Sears to get a replacement.

We left that circuit completely off.

The replacement was delivered today and hooked up to plumbing and electrical. But when the new installer turned on the circuit at the breaker, the DW wouldn't power up. (The 2 undercabinet fluorescents that are on that circuit DID work, however.)

So the guy tested the wires, he told us there was no power on the line.

Could that problem in the first install have destroyed the wiring in the section of wire that travels down to the dishwasher? Created a short, or burnt out insulation?

I'd love to have some idea of what we might be facing before I call Sears in the morning on Monday to get them to deal w/it. I really don't want to pay for the electrical repairs to the circuity in the walls, bcs everything worked perfectly fine until the first dishwasher flared.

Comments (53)