SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahachevalier

HELP!! Kitchen layout for young family with dog

sarahachevalier
5 years ago

Hello -- we are in the planning stages of designing a new build and looking for help with the kitchen layout. The kitchen will be one of the most-used rooms in the house and therefore we want to get the design of this room right and build the other rooms around it. Everything is moveable and we are absolutely ready to go back to the drawing board to get this right as we are still in the planning stage.

The house will be approx. 2600 s.f. (1300 s.f. per floor) and we want the kitchen to feel proportional within this space.

A little bit about us:

• We are a young family with a one-year old (more kids to come!).
  • We have a big dog.
  • We spend a lot of time in the kitchen / dining area.
  • Most of the time it is just me cooking, but sometimes my husband or guests offer to help. I would like to raise the kids to help in the kitchen.
  • Whenever we have guests, everybody ends up in the kitchen. I need to keep them out of my prep zone.
  • It happens very often that my husband just walks in and gets a snack, often while I am prepping dinner.
  • I occasionally bake. I would like to have someplace to leave my KitchenAid mixer on the countertop.
  • The items I currently keep on my countertop are: 4-slice toaster, blender, mixer and a tray with the oils/spices I use often.

Important design elements to be incorporated in the kitchen:

• Kitchen must be open to other living spaces
  • Kitchen must be suitable for multiple cooks
  • Kitchen must have at least one large window (ideally windows on two sides)
  • Kitchen must have two sinks (one in prep zone and one in cleanup zone) -- we have this in our current kitchen and I would never go back
  • Snack zone must be outside of main prep zone, but close to refrigerator and dishwasher -- need to promote "path of least resistance" in putting dirty glasses & dishes in dishwasher
  • Refrigerator must be accessible even if someone is prepping
  • Kitchen must have easily accessible walk-in pantry (we currently have 60'' linear feet of pantry and I find this to be insufficient)
  • Kitchen would preferably have 36'' induction cooktop with separate double wall ovens
  • Island would preferably have seating on two sides
  • The kitchen patio doors currently drawn (parallel to island) are on southeast side, opening up to a covered porch and overlooking the backyard. I am flexible with the covered porch being accessible from the dining room instead if it helps with coming up with a more functional kitchen.
  • Symmetry is important, but I am willing to settle for visual balance (I have to admit I would prefer the island to line up with the dining table, especially if they are approximately the same size)

Questions:

• Should I consider an entirely different kitchen layout? Is my cleanup area too small (approx. 7 ft long)?
  • Should I do a u-shaped kitchen and have a run of cabinets along the right-side wall? Will a u-shaped kitchen with the island rotated 90 degrees feel less open?
  • Is my pantry big enough?
  • Is it a good idea to have the mud room connected to the kitchen? Is this hygienic? Will people constantly be bothering me while I am in the kitchen? I am not concerned about carrying groceries from the garage (people seem obsessed with this issue, I only go grocery shopping once a week). However, I am concerned about putting the dog outside and feeding him, which I often do in the morning or evening as I am prepping meals and would therefore have a quick path to do this. Initial plans had the mud room not connected to the kitchen. Any ideas & comments would be helpful -- I am very hesitant about this.

Attached is a plan of the kitchen with surrounding rooms. It is based on our preliminary plans, modified slightly by me and showing where I intend to place furniture and appliances. (As a side note: The preliminary plans had a bigger pantry and no connection between the mud room and kitchen. The door to the pantry was located closer to the perimeter of the kitchen, and the refrigerator and sink were in opposite places.)

Many thanks!!!

Comments (14)