SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mare_wbpa

Asking For Prayers

mare_wbpa
5 years ago

My 20 yr old niece, Mary Kate, who is more like a granddaughter to me, is in the hospital. After a grueling week of 3 ER visits due to excruciating back pain, they finally diagnosed her with a blood clot in her lung. The first visit missed it completely, despite her primary Dr suspecting the clot and giving a heads up to the ER staff. The 2nd visit (different ER) caught it, but discharged her with pain meds and a blood thinner. She was only out of the ER a few hrs when we were on our way back when the pain meds ordered failed to even come close to relieving her level 10 pain. I'm an RN and don't think I've ever seen anyone in that much pain. I basically told the ER Dr that I wasn't taking her home unless they would order a pain med that would do the job. He said that there wasn't anything stronger than what they first ordered. She had some potent IV meds while in the ER, which only gave very short periods of relief. After hours of tests, pain med injections and much back and forth with the Dr, they finally admitted her. Thankfully, she seems to be a lot more comfortable once a pain protocol was finally put in place. For someone who they wanted to turf to home, she's getting a lot of treatments. Respiratory therapy, IVs, with antibiotic infusions, IV steroids, IV Magnesium, blood cultures etc. They also picked up a fairly severe Urinary Tract Infection. This poor kid has been thru a meat grinder. She is a 3rd year college student who is in danger of having to lose the whole semester. Her health is our main concern, of course, but she'll be devastated to lose a semester. She also pitches on the Schools softball team. Please keep Mary Kate in your thoughts and prayers. If all goes well today, she may be discharged tomorrow. Thanks in advance. I know that I can count on the kind members here to remember her when you pray.

Comments (25)