SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_rebecca

Colorful Office & Craft Room Reno in a Small House Before/After

RenoGirl
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We needed an office/craft room badly, so took this neglected spare room in our small 80s built house and turned it into a colorful space that lends itself to creativity. My husband and I are experienced DIYers but had a limited budget for this particular room. As this is an entire house remodel- inside and out, we needed to save money where we could, yet still get as much style and utility as possible out of every inch of space. I reused the IKEA bookshelves but added reclaimed wood to the backs, reused the desks and added 3 smaller matching shelves for storage, bumping them out and adding a stained wood counter for the top. We added a picture shelf, as family and photos of our adventures are so important to us. The room now gives us plenty of space to display books and collected things we wouldn't necessarily have out in the rest of the house, and lots of storage to hide art and office supplies. We got rid of the heavy, ugly old file cabinet in favor of file storage in the pretty blue bench. Up until my sweet dog passed away, this new room also served as her play room to toss around toys in while I was working on art.

As usual, we realize this won't be everyones cup of tea here, as we all have different tastes and likes. It fits our personalities and style, and we love it. This post is to show what you can do on your own if you don't have access to a very large budget, contractors and designers- but do have access to determination, imagination and are willing to do most of the work yourself.

Before:

After:

Comments (11)