SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

3yrs after reno, thinking about changes to small galley kitchen

smalloldhouse_gw
6 years ago

I spent way too much time on this forum figuring out what to do with my small, incredibly awkward galley kitchen that is a corridor between the front of our small Cape-style house and living/dining rooms that had been added on the back. GW gurus helped figure out a viable solution; we moved plumbing and gas on a slab and opened up a load-bearing wall to combine the kitchen with what was probably the original dining or living room at the front of the house. It wasn't a small project, but we left the corridor aspect intact because anything else would have involved blowing up the entire first floor. We are very happy with the outcome.

Three years later, I'm contemplating some more house renovations and wondering if I could tinker a bit with the kitchen in the process. It comes down to 2 priorities: I'd like a bit more counter space and I don't love the banquette/table. Even though it's upholstered in Sunbrella, the banquette has absorbed more kid gunk and grease than I can ever extract. Also, we just don't need two dining tables (we have a full dining room as well.)

I know there are a lot of people here who hate eating on stools, but I would love to be able to perch while I cook. So I'm contemplating extending the counter fully into the 'breakfast room' part of the kitchen, building in a small peninsula, and adding another pantry cabinet. I've laid it out in the Ikea program that I used when planning the original reno, and it looks like I can do this while still preserving a 48" aisle. I will have to shrink the window a bit in the breakfast area but we'll be doing a lot of window work already so that seems like a reasonable possibility.

So I'm back to get schooled by GW -- is this a crazy idea? Key point that isn't obvious from the photos or diagrams below. Our front door opens into the seating area, as does our stair case to the second floor. (I know, terrible layout, and adding a small foyer/vestibule is on my wish list, but that's not likely to happen soon.)

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living