SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliegiannakos

China cabinet help

Julie G
5 years ago
Can someone rearrange my China cabinet for me so it looks less like my mother’s China cabinet?

Comments (51)

• havingfun
    5 years ago

many are not using at all. if you do it is being used for large showy items. remove the standard china. put in larger serving ware, vases, statuary. preferably more colorful then your china. generally they leave more space in between.

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

I keep my china and crystal in the china cabinet, as well as a lot of other things. Most of the china is stacked, with a few large serving pieces displayed vertically, and a few cups hung. My china has more color than yours.

Most of the space in my china cabinet is for other display items: a stein from Germany; a serving bowl that belonged to my great-grandmother; an assortment of awards that DH received; you get the idea. We aren't terribly formal people, and my china cabinet reflects that.

• Related Discussions

Can someone help identify this china cabinet?

Q

Comments (17)
    Ohmygosh Leximom! I have an EXACT same China cabinet! In fact, I have the whole dining room set-China cabinet, large buffet, small server, trestle table with claw-foot legs, 4 side chairs, 2 arm chairs! It was purchased at a local auction (eastern PA) many years ago. Like you, I was eager to find any info on it. The other day I found tags on the undersides of the chairs. (Never thought to look there before until by brother suggested it.) The set was made by the Thomasville Chair Company of Thomasville, NC. I'm guessing around the 1930s. Here's a website for a history of the company: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/thomasville-furniture-industries-inc-history/ There's a Thomasville store nearby and I'm going there in the next few days with photos of all the pieces. I'm hoping they can give me more exact dates and any other info they have. If I find out more, I'll let you know. They're beautiful pieces, and I just cleaned ALL the draw pulls with Wright's copper cleaner. They look fabulous-bright and shiny again. Can't believe I found your post. I just noticed the numbers stamped ONLY on the China cabinet pulls and searched for that. Here's a photo of the buffet:
    ...See More

Unique China Cabinet please help identify

Q

Comments (4)
    It was taken with a camera phone ;-) I will have better pictures taken ASAP. The Blue glass in the top windows is what stands out for me. I know little about glass but it almost seems like blown glass. Does that make sense? What would the value be approximately..Any idea?
    ...See More

Mirrors in new China Cabinet, please help!

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I am new here! I have a beautiful, new China Cabinet. When I ordered it in the store, I neglected to ask for mirror backing in the shelving part of the display case. I want to put mirrors in it, but have no idea how to get it done. I called several mirror/glass companies, and they were not interested in mounting the mirror for me. I can get the mirrors cut, but my husband is concerned about how to mount them. The back wall of the china cabinet is plywood, and it feels thin, when I tap on it, you can sure tell it by the sound. This is well made furniture, from the Amish Market. If anyone can help me figure this out, I would appreciate it! Thanks!
    ...See More

China Cabinet Behind & Flanking Banquette- Help Please!

Q

Comments (6)
    We had a banquette in a kitchen years ago. DH made it and while the kids were little it was fine but no adult appreciates sliding in and out and being trapped in the middle. We have vinyl seats...I can't imagine trying to use one with no "slide" in the fabric. On the plus side it turned what would have been an eat in kitchen for four into one sitting 6 easily.
    ...See More
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

but that is keeping up with current style too.

• Marta
    5 years ago
    Agree that china cabinets like this are used less these days. Have you considered putting a patterned wallpaper on the back wall of the cabinet? It might “modernize” it and make it more fun.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

The cabinet right now looks like a store display of china , if you must have the cabinet you need to listen to some of the ideas above . I personally use my “good” china often and find displaying it to be a very dated idea.

• Sharyn
    5 years ago
    Maybe move the cake plates to the top shelf where they would break up the tallest if the shelves.

Possibly paint the back of the cabinet so that your dishes pop.

Maybe stack the smaller plates so that the plate with the design is more visible.

Do you have any metal? A vase or water pitcher would help cut up the straight in a row feel with another height and finish.

It's a pretty cabinet!
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

a few pics if they might help.

2001 showcase · More Info

5425 Interior · More Info

• Dana
    5 years ago

Try incorporating some metal, wood and/or green elements to break up the China. Stack the plates to provide adequate storage whlike creating a lot of room for some fun pieces too.

• loobab
    5 years ago

Remove the china. Yes, that's what I said.

Put large attractive things in there, like a tureen, a beautiful pitcher, a crystal bowl, and don't overcrowd the china cabinet.

Place settings that are monotone should not be lined up like that, and furthermore, they are too crowded. Put them all away.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

if you insist on using for china too. then use the third rule. one third of shelf for stacked china, one third for attractive item and 1/3 for empty space.

• Molly
    5 years ago
    Are there 4 plates or does the back one have a pattern? If only 3 plates, maybe remove the middle one so you can see the pattern. Do you have any crystal, silver or serving pieces you can add in place of some of the place settings?
  • darralisa
    5 years ago
    That is a really pretty piece. I agree with stacking the plates and having some empty spaces. Also, the may sound odd, but I’d add books, maybe old cook books, for color.
  • Val B
    5 years ago
    I think it's a pretty piece and fro what we can see, it looks nice with your dining room. I don't mind that everything inside is white, but I don't like the repetitive way the dishes are placed. I would do what others suggested and stack the dishes and find some other white serving pieces and vases of varying heights and depths.
  • Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yikes some of you were slightly brutal. Relax, it’s not that serious.

For those with constructive, polite opinions, thank you! Few things to note- the China cabinet itself is not white, it’s a very light neutral green. The picture is off.

I actually am not a fan of traditional china cabinets. However, this is my husbands late grandfathers piece and is sentimental to both of us... so it stays. Love the idea of stacking and I have enough space in my kitchen to store the rest. I appreciate the pictures someone linked, super helpful. I like the idea of it being not so dining related and incorporating other items like books. Thanks!
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Nice cabinet.

You might consider NOT staging every place setting. Instead, center your cake dishes in the two bottom center windows, stage a place setting in each of the four windows above that but, on the shelves behind each of the side doors, place all the rest of the dishes in groups of the same thing: all the dinner plates in one window, all the breakfast plates in one window, all the cups in one window, etc. Where you have the small saucers and/or smallest plates, you could add items that either match your china or each other or are clear: a covered butter dish or a S&P shaker or cream/sugar pices or candle holders, etc.

• Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks suezbell! I’m going to play around with it and I’ll post a picture
  • laurkade
    5 years ago
    Consider only using two outside shelves for displaying China.Get silver or brown chargers to go behind six plates. Stack 2-3 plate in front of dinner plate under coffee cups- if room. If not, stack all larger plates together.
    Put cake stand on middle shelf centered. Use one of plates in cake stand. Put dessert plates stacked on sides of cake stand- if room.Use birds beside cake plate or under dome of cake stand. If you have nice flutes/glasses, could incorporate them on bottom shelf. Use pitcher, vase or more glasses on top shelf. Find two colorful napkins , fold and place over 2 plates on center shelf.
  • Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Laurkade for being so specific! Unfortunately those cake stands only fit there because of the depth of that bottom shelf and the the fact that the center part is wider. I’m thinking of losing them all together
  • PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    5 years ago

Hi, Julie--

Agree that this display has cool potential. I'd actually remove the larger glass pieces for separate (or below) storage, since it seems they crowd the scale just a bit. That would definitely give your place settings a little more breathing room.

Also, since you have such a restrained palette working here, I think this would be an absolute ideal opportunity to test out some removable wallpaper as a backing layer to add a touch of texture behind the refinement of your legacy china. You're doing an elegant shape with your chairbacks, so something with a touch of unique texture - dyed and woven rattan or grasscloth - would be great.

Here's one option (in Sand to echo the warmth of your chair wood tones) to think about:

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/grasscloth-wallpaper/?pkey=cwallpaper&isx=0.0.699

(They also have sample cuts - 8 x 11 - that you can order to test out, too). Cheers!

• Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like the grasscloth idea! My china is white with an embossed border, and I actually kind of hate the silver accent plates. Maybe keep the white (mostly stacked, still playing around) and incorporate different colors. I’m not a huge color person but would like to warm it up.
  • PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

That's awesome. I'd keep your side panels arranged with the six setups as you currently have them, but would pull out the centered setup you have on the middle shelf since we lose it behind the center rail. We currently lose your teapot up top for the same reason - would pull that and other serving pieces of size to group in the center section behind the glass panels and not behind the center rail so they maintain better impact.

Also agree that books can be stacked to provide a little extra impact, but would rotate their spines to face behind so you just get the texture of the pages facing forward. More color from book jackets would overpower the delicacy of your china and confuse the eye, so would consider those few tweaks and proceed from there.

• threers
    5 years ago

Julie, I suggest you think seriously about the changing the background of your china cabinet. There is paint; there is fabric; there are removable wall papers available. All will add some color and interest. I think you do not need to display all the china; just enough to make an interesting "something to look at".

• havingfun
    5 years ago

something like this would be a great backdrop for all white dinner ware, really show it off.

Leaves Reusable Wallpaper, Navy, 1 Sheet · More Info

• partim
    5 years ago

You can also do a removable backdrop by cutting thin solid foam to the size of your 3 back sections, then covering them with wallpaper or fabric. Just press them into place, or use double sided tape.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

Julie-

Fairway always gives great constructive advice! Tune out the classless individuals that showed up here tonight! It’s a pretty chest- try out some ideas and post new pics!

• Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Molly D! I’m not a frequent poster but am enjoying decorating our new home and thought I’d get some advice. The big renovations are done and it’s these smaller details that are starting to exhaust me. I’m also in my third trimester and can’t make a decision for the life of me, so I’ve removed everything from this cabinet and lugged other pieces up from storage more times today than I care to admit Will post pics when I settle on something!
  • Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, while I’m at it, thoughts on getting the whole cabinet refinished in a slightly distressed black?
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Oh, I wouldn't make a big decision like that in your third trimester. Or mess about with paints, either.

• Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Loobab, you’ve been talking to my husband haven’t you?! Haha I just think the light green is blending in way too much with the dining room. But I also drove to get ice cream today and realized after I got back in the car that I don’t even really like ice cream so, you have a fair point.
  • PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    5 years ago

Hi, Julie--

I wouldn't recommend refinishing the cabinet without seeing the rest of the room first - and also, the soft finish really works here from what we've seen so far. Like loobab says, your world is undoubtedly plenty busy right now in a final weeks countdown state! If you've got the time and interest for a small project, try out the temporary wallpaper backing and get your feet wet with that change. What I'd say your piece could use most right now is a hint of texture - something a paint color change alone wouldn't touch. Plus, that piece has got to be a heavy one to relocate to a shop for refinishing.

If you have the appetite for more any more adjustment beyond tweaking the backing material, I'd investigate whether your piece has lighting built into the upper cabinet, and explore the idea of glass shelf inlay panels to let the light extend down through the cabinet for some dramatic nighttime illumination. It looks like your shelves inside are solid material now, so I'm guessing there's no light kit installed up top today, but that addition would really make an impact after dark.

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    5 years ago

Hi, Julie--

I wouldn't recommend refinishing the cabinet without seeing the rest of the room first - and also, the soft finish really works here from what we've seen so far. Like loobab says, your world is undoubtedly plenty busy right now in a final weeks countdown state! If you've got the time and interest for a small project, try out the temporary wallpaper backing and get your feet wet with that change. What I'd say your piece could use most right now is a hint of texture - something a paint color change alone wouldn't touch. Plus, that piece has got to be a heavy one to relocate to a shop for refinishing.

If you have the appetite for any more adjustment beyond tweaking the backing material, I'd investigate whether your piece has lighting built into the upper cabinet, and explore the idea of glass shelf inlay panels to let the light extend down through the cabinet for some dramatic nighttime illumination. It looks like your shelves inside are solid material now, so I'm guessing there's no light kit installed up top today, but that addition would really make an impact after dark.

Also, thanks Molly. :) Cheers!

• PRO
    APPOLLO
    5 years ago

For the white China cabinet, it needs background decoration to make it beautiful, and the cabinet itself should look stylish.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I love your cabinet--kudos to you for keeping a family heirloom!

As for lighting--you can purchase battery operated fairy lights that illuminate the inside without replacing shelves or installing permanent light fixtures. I have them in a corner cabinet and they look magical at night!

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Center items inside of glass to avoid visually cutting items in half. Cohesive placement for visual balance.

Can also stack cups on saucers.

• Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Fairway Style Living- I appreciate all your help! Could you pop by the the east coast and do the finishing touches throughout my house?
  • PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    5 years ago

Ha - sure thing. Not like you haven't got a list of things to get done before the end of trimester no. three! The perfect time to take on pestering projects. :)

• iheartsix
    5 years ago
    Julie - I LOVE the fact that your beautiful cabinet belonged to his grandfather, what charm and family history it has. There are a few great suggestions here so I won’t add to them, but I would love to see what the pattern is of your dishes displayed. Enjoy re-arranging, what fun.
  • Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you iheartsix, how sweet. When I got married, I purposely picked out simple clean looking china. I love to cook and am a firm believer that food looks best on white plates. Also, I wanted the ability to incorporate other pieces I picked up along the way or be able to easily add festive charger plates etc. So I definitely get what people mean when they said they’re a little boring for display, but they work for me!
  • Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    While I have you all here, here are some pictures of the thorn in my side dining room and neighboring den. It’s a big room, around 13 ft by 17 ft. First things first- I don’t like the gray wood of the table as I don’t find it warm but it was a deal I couldn’t pass up for that big of a table (9 feet). I’m well aware the wall color is wrong for the room but my poor husband might actually have a heart attack/kick me out if I make him repaint so it stays as well. (The previous homeowners had very... tropical taste in paint colors so he’s painstakingly painted every inch of this house) I actually like neutral design but dislike the gray coldness of the room so want to find a way to warm it all up with the whatever I display in the cabinet, a chandelier, drapes, and artwork. My mind automatically goes to dark wood accents for warmth but I’m not sure if I can blend that with all the gray so my next thought was black to ground everything. For style reference, here is the neighboring den, which also is unfinished but I’ve gotten most of the bigger pieces at least.
  • loobab
    5 years ago

Well, you could stain the table a cherry or mahogany stain.

Or you could do something different, and younger, like you!

Leave the tables and chairs as they are.

Get a marvelous authentic rug, such as a handknotted Persian or woven kilim or nomadic.

That will have some bold and bright colors.

Find one that you like, and it will give your room and home instant luxe and history.

Then pick up one or two of the colors from the rug and carry it into whatever art you out into the dining room.

I do think large starburst mirrors are great in dining rooms too, they reflect the beautiful place settings, the candlelight, the guests in their finery, etc.

I would keep the curtains a light color, like the color of your sofa, but you can trim the edges with a color in the carpet.

You might want to recapitulate some of those colors in throw pillows in the living room, so the house flows from room to room.

• Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Awesome ideas! Yes the plan was for a rug and light curtains. Having a tough time finding exactly what I want in the rug. I definitely want to bring in pattern and contrast but also keep the dining room pretty formal. I ordered one recently but it was way too light and did nothing for the room. I like how the black and cream rug in the den “grounds” the lighter sofa and marble coffee table, so I’m aiming for a similar idea
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

you can get some bright table toppers candlesticks, salt and pepper shakers to set out. you can also get some great vivid fabric for your chair seats and covers.

fuchsia fabric, wallpaper & gift wrap - Spoonflower · More Info

Fabric – Shop for Fabric By Independent Designers – Spoonflower · More Info

Fabric – Shop for Fabric By Independent Designers – Spoonflower · More Info

• Molly
    5 years ago

Saw this and thought I’d share.

• Julie G
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Molly, I LOVE that and that’s the exact type of pattern/coloring I’ve been searching for! My den rug is Safavieh as well. And that’s the size I need. Ordering, thank you!
  • Molly
    5 years ago
    Great! Gets wonderful reviews too. :-)
  • User
    5 years ago

i see that the two most dreaded words in Houzz are listed above: dated and boring. Words that drove our mothers' decorating and redecorating were practical, utilitarian, and functional. White dishes aren't boring, they are complementary to the food and the look of the table can be changed by simply changing centerpiece flowers.

• cbear33
    5 years ago

I think it's a beautiful piece. It reminds me of my Mother's china cabinet with 12 serving sets displayed. I would keep just the dish sets on the sides and fill the center with something different. Maybe you have something special from your wedding you could put in there. You could try some pretty champagne glasses, wedding framed pictures, a pretty decorative vase, a colorful glass bowl or even a special figurine. The possibilities are endless. I think the dishes look beautiful in there- just not 12 sets of them. :)

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

You seem to gravitate towards monotone elements. Nothing wrong with that!

Did I not read that you wrote that you hate the silver accents on the plates? Could it be that the reason your china cabinet looks like your mothers is because it is? Have you inherited this lock, stock and barrel from an ancestor?

If that is the case, it seems that it is yours now to liven up and break with the stuffy old look.

A few splashes of accent or color or interest would go a long way.

And, so many have suggested to you that you stack them, rather than display them as you do. That adds a little more relaxed and modern element to it.

Apparently you have some dissatisfaction with them. It leads me to think that maybe they were not your choice.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

The homeowner stated that she did indeed select the china when she married. And she doesn't hate the silver on the plates, she isn't fond of the silver ACCENT plates.