SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bailey183913

China Cabinet Behind & Flanking Banquette- Help Please!

bailey183913
7 years ago

I am planning a new build with a banquette for the dining room seating along a wall (9' tall by 14' long). I want to have china cabinets in this area; ideally on either side of the banquette seat (which is probably going to be a church pew initially) and above/behind the seat as well.

Just to note, i have alot of china with many duplicate pieces. But I don't know if i need to devote 14 feet of wall space either.

On either side of the seat, the cabinets flanking will have a cabinet base with counterop below (only 15"-18" deep). I was thinking the upper cabinet would be 18" above the base.

For the cabinets behind/above the banquette seat, the seat would be pulled away from the wall the depth of upper cabinets (I don't want anyone hitting their head). This space otherwise would have been a great location for artwork too, but having only 2 flanking cabinets would not be enough space either.

I don't want this china cabinet wall to look too much like regular kitchen cabinets, but more built in like furniture. Depending on budget, they may be regular kitchen cabinets anyways And I plan on using the china regularly, so I want it accessible and not too high up.

If i don't take the cabinetry or trim to meet the ceiling, how else can i decorate above the cabinets?

I am struggling with what the finished product may look like and how to integrate the space with the rest of home.

Here is a layout and some elevation designs i've been playing aroudn with for reference.

Layout · More Info

Layout · More Info

Does anyone have any pictures to share? I've searched Houzz and pinterest, and have found similiar ideas but nothing that has cabinetry behind the seat except for this picture, and it's close but not quite the look I want.

Alexandria, VA - Kitchen Remodel · More Info
Other ideas for reference: maybe I need to bring the flanking cabinetry to meet the base cabinet and extend the depth to still get some countertop area.
Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Comments (6)