SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Help me put the dishwasher back together! AND Clean LOL

enduring
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I took my MIL's dishwasher apart, in preparation for helping her sell the house, as she is now in a senior apartment. It was very nasty inside, under the screen. Full of moldy paper, etc. I don't know how this happened, but surely the dishes were being washed with nasty water, over and over again.

One problem I see in the "Use & Care Manual" for this Frididaire dishwasher is that it says it is self cleaning. RIGHT. Its a Frigidaire series 650, model FDBC56BA S (or 5) I (or 1). the only place I see the model number is in the warranty card she has in her file. It was purchased in 2002.

I looked in the cleaning section and it only says to pull out the glass trap form time to time if needed. Well there was no glass, but as I pulled out the large screen on the floor of the machine, I found the mother lode of ICK! Needing help with getting it back together. I put it back as I thought I took it apart, but the large plastic screen won't lay flat. After a load, it was shifted to the side. If I put the screen down first, then the 2 trap pieces, the bottom trap doesn't fit into the opening under the filter setup at bottom of the machine. I assume that this area is to the pump out area.

I cleaned all the stuff out that I could, put it back together as best I could and ran another load. There was still debris in the machine. I would have thought that it would have washed clean. I used STPP along with Kirkland powdered dish. The prewash was with a squirt of liquid hand dish washing soap and a tablespoon of citric acid. Could there be a blockage even further inside, requiring taking the machine out and opening it up?

Last, I don't know who installed this thing but its not level. Every time you open the door, the upper rack rolls slowly out. The machine needs its front feet lengthened to get it tipped up to plumb. I have the installation manual, but haven't read it yet. Any tips on that?

Thanks and Help me get this machine clean and put back together properly please :))))

Comments (15)