SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzegeorgia

Open concept family room design challenge (sofa/tv)

Susan
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have lived in our home for almost a year now and I can't figure out the furniture placement in our open concept kitchen/family room. I purchased a new sofa for the room as I thought my husband and I would use the room to watch movies. However, we have a "flex" room close by and that is where we watch most of our TV. Our family room was wired for surround sound with overhead speakers so we purchased a new receiver and can now listed to music in the family room and out on the back porch. My problem is that it doesn't feel right to me with the sofa sitting in the middle of the room. Whenever we have company I am always standing in the kitchen and they have their backs to me. Plus when you come in the front door the first thing you see down the wide hall is the side of the sofa. I am think about removing the TV from the wall but keeping the receiver so we can still listen to music on the porch. My husband is not completely on board as the house was built with the room wired for surround sound ($ wasted). I have been moving furniture around (again) all morning and really like the sofa on the wall (under the tv in the photos). I could place the tv on the side wall and pull it out when we want to watch it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Sorry about the photos as I am moving furniture around and removed the rug/other decor. I don't need advice in adding the decor, which I have moved out just now, just in how to place the sofa/tv in the open concept family room. It is making me very frustrated. It is only the two of us here and we would like to also use the room for entertaining, I hope I am making sense.

Comments (4)