SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_897927012

Help Designing/Picking Furniture for Small Open Concept Living Room

Greer Gardner
3 years ago

My husband and I just moved into a new home, and are trying to design our living room. The current furniture in the photos is from our apartment, and we plan to move it upstairs to the game room.

Our challenge: finding furniture that fits the space that we can relax on, but is not as casual as the current deep sofa (lounge ii from Crate & Barrel w/ double chaise). My husband and I both lounge when we watch TV and relax at night and we plan to use this room as our primary TV room. The Lounge ii is heavenly, but is not good for conversation or for having people over to socialize. We want to have enough space to lounge but also seat 4-6 people comfortably if we have guests over.

Room dimensions:

• The distance from blue back wall to end of the current sectional is 134 inches. It looks like we could potentially push it back to 140 inches and still have enough walkway between the end of the sofa and the bar stools
  • The distance from the window wall to the start of the hall way is: 168 inches
  • Right now sofa has 17 inches of space between the window and the start of the sofa. The end of the sofa sits 140 inches away from the window wall.

Questions:

1. What type of TV stand/media center and what color will look best in this space? I really like the big media centers that are about 88 inches tall and take up most of the wall width, but I am concerned that having a big media center may make the room look smaller, but also think that the current style TV stand looks awkwardly small in the room.
  2. What seating arrangement would work best for the space that will allow us to lounge on it, but will also be good for having guests over? We were leaning towards an L shaped sectional like the Pearce Roll Arm 3-piece L-Shaped Wedge Sectional from Pottery Barn, but once I measured it out I am worried it will make the space looked cramped (121 inch x 121 inc). We are planning to go with a white or an off white sofa but I am open to suggestions.
  3. What style/size coffee table will look best in this space? The current coffee table we have feels too large.

Comment

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County