laura_rodriguez60

please help me choose a rug

Laura Rodriguez
5 years ago
i need help choosing a rug please

Comments (26)

• Molly
    5 years ago
    Of the 3, I like the light one best, but I’m not sure it goes with the gray couch.
  • Related Discussions

Where to start/Help me choose a rug please

Q

Comments (3)
    Definitely the rug. However, I think you should try to get as much planned out as possible before buying anything (or at least a very good idea of style and layout) , unless it's one-of-a-kind and you love it. Much easier in the long run vs. decorating yourself into a corner, but does take patience.
    ...See More

Help me choose an area rug for dining room

Q

Comments (9)
    It's a lovely room but I would choose a larger rug which will make the room look even more elegant and rich. A rug with a border, such as the two directly above, gives a more finished look. Also, a rug with a bit more color variation, perhaps gray or cream with a soft terracotta, would lend more life to your dining room.
    ...See More

Please help me choose a rug!

Q

Comments (26)
    Good plan. Your traditional rug is very nice and I would keep it too. Oh, in fact, I have around 5 rugs in storage now. Beautiful wool traditional rugs but they just don't fit in our new home. I may get a runner out though soon! Good luck and let us know how it works. One tip. If you can order a small one, like 2x3 (I forget if that size is available or not) first. You can check and make sure you like the colors etc. Then if it doesn't work, easy to send back. If it works most can use small rugs for a rug by a door, etc. Then order the size you need.
    ...See More

Please help me choose an area rug design/style and an accent chair

Q

Comments (26)
    This is a pretty room with too much Hobby Lobby decor. You've got vases of sticks in display niches. Reminds me of a hotel lobby. Find something you love and want to look at every day to put there. I chose a couple of ethnic artifacts, but it could be art glass, or antique pieces. Here are a couple of rugs that will work better in your room:
    ...See More
  • Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'm having such a hard time with color. I like traditional but not too traditional. any ideas on color theme I can use?
  • Molly
    5 years ago
    Did you order any of the things in your picture?
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

all of yours are based on tan and red. i think we should be doing red and gray.

Modern Furniture and Decor for your Home and Office · More Info

Modern Area Rugs | Delight Rug | Eurway Furniture · More Info

Modern Furniture and Decor for your Home and Office · More Info

• Nicole Cooley
    5 years ago

Out of the three I like the cream one

• Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    haven't ordered anything in the picture yet no. prob good thing i didn't haha. I don't really like gray tho. but your prob right. I was also thinking gray and indigo?
  • Molly
    5 years ago
    Can you post a picture facing your couch as the place currently looks? Here are a few ideas, but what styles do you love and hate (generally)?
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

as I see it you can..

-go with colors that "support" you cooler, blue-ish grays. They either have such grays in their pattern, or are cleaner white, or blueish-green, or blue, or yes, indigo would work as well. This choice can be more accentuating or more soft and blending, depending on what you choose.

-you can go with cooler cranberry red as in your picture-here, you're going for more of a contrast but as I said the temperature of color is similar to your grays. They can be good partners, because they're similar in their temperature. You do need to incorporate this cranberry red somewhere else in the room-as on your moodboard. But I'd prefer to see similar tones in the pattern of such rug as well.."cleaner" colors rather than "muddier" ones. Maybe stronger contrast between these, need to think.

-you can go with strong contrasting colors like marigold or fuchsia too. Certain purples would look very cool. More than that, you can go for combo of all of them as your accent colors. Then you get a more vibrant, "fast paced" room as opposed to a calmer one.

The question here is, I guess-what is the mood you're seeking for yourself in this room? Because all the approaches will work-they'll just make your room feel and live a bit differently,

It's very personal choice

Once you make it you work toward the desired feel.

But whatever components you choose should be strong enough and clean enough to play well with your sofa. It'd be different games-but all will be fair and can end up looking good. I'm really not sure I'm great on trying to explain my thoughts, so I apologize in advance for that lack of clarity.

I'll try to look up some examples to illustrate my thoughts, if circumstances will permit me.

(keeping in mind you prefer soft traditional lines)

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

okay..let's try to play..i didn't take into account neither materials(but you should, depending on your needs etc), nor prices ..not all of them are fluid floral designs you seem to prefer..I was looking strictly at colors

I could get them wrong too-so I'll put them here, that'll make these easier to see next to your room. Hard to jump between the tabs.

(the one I like the best. you have your florals, grays and blues..not exctly indigo but close. yes it is one of the most expensive ones if I remember correctly. here, you blend rather than contrast-resulting in intersting but queiter look)

(very pronounced contrast-good strong partner to your sofa. "warm" color" in "cool" shade)

(had to:) tribute to your love of birds which I happen to share. Softer cleaner colors)

(obvious contrast. gold is great to pair with gray. Pattern is not floral-but as an example.)

(strong pattern, cleaner colors, background is borrowing from your walls and sofa in terms of color. lots of colors inside to hint on future accents.)

(totally different pattern-yet you get your indigo. the background is clean enough, not murky. sharper contrast-more fast paced room so to say. the pattern is still trafitionsl, just of different tradition obviously)

(very strong contrast between colors. texture brings interest..PITA to clean as I suspect lol..yet the point is-all of these colors will play great with your sofa.)

• aprilneverends
    5 years ago

couple more

(sorry small image..but orange can be a great color to pair with your gray.

it's a bit like playing matchmaker..))

(here you have your grays plus a bit of contrasting colors to liven them up. it's a contemporary take on traditional I'd say)

(the most similar to your choices in a sense of pattern..easier to work in because of cooler gray incorporated in the pattern. Hard to see here but I looked at a close up that gave me hope, in this regard/ Then you can pick up warmer tones in accents/finishes, and balance it out when putting the room together. Much like you do on your moodboard-but I believe could be easier)

(that's kinda closer to perfection in terms of colors..soft supportive pattern.quieter look. can read as "expected"-which can be a very good thing because it becomes a very nice background to the rest of things you want to do in the room)

• havingfun
    5 years ago

oh, i did gray and red because all else looks gray and you do everything with red in it. we could pretty much ignore the gray if you like. so no red?

• havingfun
    5 years ago

Safavieh Valencia Collection VAL108 Rug, Blue/Multi, 8' X 10' · More Info

Modern 10' x 14' Area Rugs | AllModern · More Info

• JustDoIt
    5 years ago

This is one of my current inspirations that have red and gray:

Main St. - Eclectic Modern · More Info

So I vote for the red rug.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    5 years ago

Laura, you said above, " I don't really like gray tho. but your prob right. I was also thinking gray and indigo? "

Is the gray sofa yours, and is your wall color gray? Would you consider changing your wall color, if you don't like gray?

• Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I love the first blue floral rug April posted. very pretty. I think I'm leaning more towards indigo and touches of orange. I bought these pillows but don't know how I feel about them yet. obviously I'll be replacing the picture on the wall. eventually getting new coffee table. and curtains just placed there for now
  • Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I prefer not to paint. it's a temporary place
  • Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    pictures taken at night. during the day I get alot of light so maybe it will look better then. awesome info on colors and mood of the room. I want homey, relaxing.
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

oh my

it loks like a totally different gray on these last pictures. it reads much. much warmer. is it lighting, or am I off from the very beginning?

(it's very hard to shoot interiors, so I'm usually ready for surprizes like that. each time though I'm astonished once again)

orange will work with both

indig will too-but the background for indigo has to correspond with your gray

your last rug-great match. for the warmer gray. and maybe for cooler too..do they allow to get swatches first? in the store?

• Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes the picture was taken at night. I have bad lighting. during the day it's nice and bright. I'll take another tomorrow. does the pillows look too dull? what about wall art?
  • aprilneverends
    5 years ago

Art looks good. Art is very personal, you see-it needs to be loved, or adored, or influencing you in some way-it can be very calmong, or joyful, or reminescent of things, or inspiring..or I have some art that sent me into crisis too lol. In short has to be meaningful.

obviously there are rules on how and why to hang it-and it's nice to know these, because then when you decide to break them you know damn well why you did it))

"dullness" of pilows is kinda personal too. what's dull to me is not dull to others, and vise versa.

say, I'm not a person of solid colors on pillows at all-I think I don't have one in my house. But it doesn't mean that solid color pillows are dull.

What I'd do though, if I decided to go for solid color pillow-I'd ensure its texture (besides being pleasant to touch. I'm a lounging person-I expect my pillows to be comfy pillows)..so, I'd ensure its texture varies somehow-because different fabrics reflect light differently. Thus creating feeling of more depth even if they're one color.

So if I have several pillows for example-I'll make sure that some of them are velvet. Or have embroidery (as you did). Or are textured, or faux fur, or felt, or are knitted, or..endless possibilities.

Especially jewel deep tones like indigo or deep plum or emerald-they'll come alive more on more textured or maybe more refined and sleek material...they have this depth about them, you know, when you look into a precious stone?..so they like this interplay with light. They like being stones, or blown glass or silk or velvet, because every hit of light will make them then a tad different, and will give out this amazing feeling of depth, like a precious stone does.

So yes, if you choose a color like that-you kinda indulge it ..you help it being as complex as it strives to be. By choosing the material that'll let it shine more.

The pillows are not bad at all. But you can make them even better.

What is the fabric? Of the blue ones?

after sofa color shock, I'm prepared for everything:)

it's easy to miss things, from computer image

okay, after another illegible post..I'll wait for your pictures. It's really important to understand what is the color of the sofa. Most time of the day

because if your very first picture showed this much warmer color-my answer would be very different.

Love your table

PS make sure 5 by 7 rug is enough, in your space

• Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I love the idea of different texture I just have a hard time finding ones I like. here is a better pic of the room. it was early morning tho. during the day I get sunlight. I want home to take picture tho. the other pic is some ideas. I love traditional/farmhouse style.
  • Molly
    5 years ago
    Here are a few blue ones. The reviews on the one from allmodern include a ton of pictures from buyers and both get rave reviews.
  • Laura Rodriguez
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    molly I love the one on the right! is that from the same place as the one on the left?
  • Molly
    5 years ago
    The one on the right is Wayfair, but Google the name and you may find it somewhere else cheaper.
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

woah this place is getting full. how about these, i love blues.

Amazon.com: HOME BRILLIANT Abstract Textured Square Pillowcases for Modern Farmh · More Info

C & F Enterprises, Inc. Chesapeake Bay 16 X 16 Navy Pillow With Button 89393B.16 · More Info

Throw Pillows Page 14 | Bellacor · More Info

Mauritius Cotton Throw Pillow & Reviews | Birch Lane · More Info

Amazon.com: jinchan Striped Corduroy Velvet Pillow Case,12 x 20-inch Super Soft · More Info

Cecelia Vintage Pillow 20 x 20-in. | At Home · More Info
    i picked blues that should feel at home in a farm house. let me know, i can change out, i have tons.