SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brea_albritton

WHOA!!! Just got 2 quotes for countertops - Need some thoughts!

Brea Albritton
5 years ago

Around a month ago, my husband and I visited our local fabricator who directed us to their suppliers since they did not have what we wanted in stock. At the suppliers, I picked my main want and then a few low-end slabs and some in between. I waited 3 weeks for quotes from the fabricator. I just wanted to see where I was at with my wants and the my reality budget. I called last week wondering if they had a quote yet and the estimator said that their software has been messing up and that by this week he would send me something. So on Wednesday he sent me the below quote for 60 SF (All Kitchen) -

Calacatta - 14k

Taj Mahal - 6k

Terroro Bianco 4.5k

Granite 1 3K

Granite 2 3k

I was thrown off by the 14k for honed marble. But was comfortable with the TM price b/c I was told while visiting the fabricator to look for about 100/SF for TM. So I responded, mostly to bring to their attention that I thought their software was still calculating a little off... or maybe it was supposed to be 4K instead of 14K... IDK. BUT THEN --- they respond back saying that yes, their software was still off and attached was a new quote with significantly different numbers ... see below...

Calacatta - 21K

Taj Mahal - 10K

Terroro Bianco 8K

Granite 1 6K

Granite 2 5K

WHAT?!?!?! How is the low of the low granite coming in at $75/SF, Marble at $356/SF and TM $165/SF

Does this sound right??

I am only blown away because I was told that the lower end granite was around $40 and TM around 100, with the Marble I like being around 80.

I just contacted the main guy at the fabricator and he is saying that these prices are correct and that he would sit down with me and show me the numbers tomorrow... but if he is standing firm on these prices then there is nothing to talk about right now. I got some shopping around at other fabricators to do. Or I need to reevaluate my cabinet and flooring color so I can pick a counter material that isn't so pricey. When so many people tell you that they paid 30-50/SF for their granite counters, you're already feeling like a diva when you pick out a stone that you were told costs around 100/SF ... I was justifying the TM b/c my husband also kept going back to it and this will be our forever home. I have completely custom home being built and having generic counters will be a bummer.

Your feedback is appreciated and If anyone has any suggestions on other materials to look at, it would be greatly appreciated as well!

Have a blessed weekend!

Comments (7)