SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atee62

Best way for reseeding/rejuvenating a lawn

Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

Lawn and garden is not my forte and I am still learning so guidance from experienced Houzzers is greatly appreciated.

We purchased our home 6 years ago and it was not maintained by the elderly homeowner before us. Her surviving children put the home up for sale and did their best to get the house ready for a quick turnover. One of the things they did was plant some type of weird seed in the yard to replace the missing grass in several areas. No one can tell me what it is. Some of the spots measure 5 to 6 feet round while others are just a foot or two. It is always the last to green up in the spring and has an odd texture. I am in Michigan so a blend of Kentucky bluegrass is the usual grass type here. The heat and humidity finally killed most of this weird grass this year as it looks like straw. I can pull it up easily and expose the bare ground. The roots are dead thank goodness on much of it (but not all).

About 1/3 of my existing lawn is this weird stuff with the rest of the lawn fairly healthy.

I am considering hiring a company to come in and reseed. They use a power rake and then deposit seed. They told me the new seed will not overtake any existing grass only where it is bare. Another company aerates and then reseeds. Is there a difference between power raking and aerating?

Should I just pull up the dead areas myself and then using a combo of lawn soil and seed myself to fill in? Use a patch product from Pennington or Scotts?

So the my bottom line question is how would you proceed to rejuvenate a lawn that is half okay but half dead?

Comments (3)