SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janecoleman24

Will "Terrarium"/ Geometric Faceted Pendant Lights Date Our Kitchen?

Jane C.
5 years ago

We're completely renovating the small kitchen in our 1930's house in a transitional style: The cabinets will be warm pale gray straight Shaker with about 3" stiles and rails, marble-like quartz counter top (LG Viatera Soprano), 3 x 12" Pane Blanco subway tile back splash, satin brass hardware, faucet and lights. The floor will be 3 1/4" dark hardwood, (not wide planks) in keeping with the rest of the house. (Picture is attached but please note that the cabinet sample door only represents the color, not the exact style, which will be "square bead," i.e., straight Shaker. The hardware will probably be the same style and color as in the picture (Emtek mod hex) but longer.)

Coordinating the gold/brass tones in the hardware, faucet and lights took some doing, but we finally found pendant lights (for over a peninsula) that seem to work with the whole kitchen design -- either of the faceted pendant lights in gold/brass tones pictured below.

Question is, are they still in style? There are certainly plenty of them (or the like) for sale at all the major online retailers. However, after looking at many, many pictures on Houzz (maybe too many), I began to wonder whether I was seeing them mostly in kitchens from three to five years ago. Today's kitchens seem to feature more of those light-bulby industrial or farmhousey types of pendants.

So will these pendant lights date our kitchen, i.e., will it look we did it (shudder) in 2015 rather than 2018?

I would be very grateful for any advice or guidance! TYIA!

Comments (23)