SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blfenton

Any differences betw a 'math' kitchen and a 'humanities' kitchen?

blfenton
12 years ago

I have a Bachelor of Commerce with a minor in Sociology and was going to major in sociology until I realized that there wasn't a pay cheque attached to that degree.

When planning my kitchen, my favourite part was the drawing out of the floorplan, looking at proportions and symmetry. I loved the research end of the project. My kitchen functions very well with 2 work triangles.

We also would invite my family over for dinner (minimum of 25 people) and analyze their flow patterns - where did they sit, how did they interact with me and each other, what space didn't get used and what space was too crowded. I was looking at the social interactions of everyone (ages 4-82) and how they fit into the space.

We were planning on moving the kitchen but from that research we left it where it was, enlarged it and made it more open to the DR and LR by moving doorways.

What I do envy are the artists among us - my space is great and a huge improvement over what I had but, aesthetically, it isn't all that interesting.

But with all the experts here who are so free with their advice, and the rest of us who bring our own personalities and sensitivities, perhaps everyone gets the best of both aspects.

So, is your kitchen a "math" kitchen or a "humanities" kitchen or is there a difference?

Comments (47)