SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_274126352

Can ants kill tree via subterranean colonies harming root system?

Mike Fuderer
5 years ago

Hello, I know there's been some other forums on this, but figured I'd try a new one. We're located in northern Midwest and we've had a well established, (20+ year old) species of maple tree. Last fall, the leaves fell off, this spring it appeared to start budding and then simply ceased, and now no leaves. Tree appears to be generally healthy (above ground anyway) and many of the same tree are flourishing in same neighborhood. Which brings me to my real question...
Though we don't see carpenter ants or signs of them, indeed not many ants in general, occasionally we'll see high concentrations of extremely small, brownish ants covering some food source. Also, we don't see much in the way of anthills.. there's a few dirt patches in yard not far from tree, possibly indicative of previous ant activity, but no active anthills near tree like you'd expect. Yet, these tiny brown ants can and do appear in great numbers occasionally and will literally cover whatever food source they've found. I'm wondering, and question I'm asking is, if it's possible that these small brown ants (whatever species they are) have vast underground satellite colonies in/around the root system, either damaging roots and/or creating cavities around them, thus depriving roots of water intake?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022