SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

Ant colony

chris_ont
16 years ago

Hi,

My front lawn is dry partial shade (ash street trees on the boulevard) and so already challenged for grass.

I have a huge ant colony on part of it. It's about 5x4 foot in size. The holes are quite large (no little piles of sand) and the ants are medium size black (not carpenter ants, but bigger than the tiny ants you might find in a house).

The ground is so thoroughly used as a colony that, when standing on the lawn, you actually sink. I can stick my finger all the way into the soil without much effort. I guess the reason that this colony doesn't have those little tell-tale piles of sand is that the entire thing has turned to sand.

I don't suppose the ants there bother anyone (it's about 15 feet from doors and windows, and I have a raised poured foundation, so I'm not really worried about them getting into the house - yet) but by mid-summer that area is a sandbox and the grass gone. I did overseed with some success last fall but the new grass is very sparse and I doubt it'll make it through a drought.

How should I handle this? Will keep the area moist discourage this thing from getting worse? Should I dig the whole thing up and try to find the queen (which I once did, by accident, in my former garden), is there some alternate ground cover that would disguise the nest, should I bring in the heavy guns and annihilate the colony?

This house is new to me and I don't know how long this colony has been here.

Comments (19)