SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_b85

RTRM: We bought our first house... Now what!?!

Lindsey B
5 years ago
RTRM: We bought our first house... now what!?!

We are under contract, we have not closed, but everything is going along as it should.

I think the first thing I need to do is thank the community here for encouraging us (well me) to look at things differently, and telling me we could do better. Some of you even reached out to me to help me find homes, you commented on design, inspection reports, and for some of you in the DFW area— specific cities. THANK YOU! Could we have done better? I’m not sure— but we could have done different. I do know that all of your advice and contributions to my research helped my DH and I buy an amazing first home.

Instead of a large wedding, we got married in an intimate city hall wedding in San Francisco (it was amazing! If you don’t know what it looks like —google it!) and then we spent over a year in a 40ft RV while we saved every penny for our down payment. All of that gave us wonderful memories and the ability to find more than a starter home.

We backed away from doing a new build, but not before talking to an architect about if we could afford to 100% custom build in our budget, instead of a tract home.

I looked at hundreds of homes all over the DFW metroplex. I made lists of what features I really wanted. I poured over numbers for remodel vs move in ready. I looked at homes under budget. I looked at homes over budget (but still affordable). I compared school districts, class sizes, visited school websites. We don’t have kids, but are working on the now ;) I looked at landing spaces near the fridge and stove. I considered flow. I thought about our current lifestyle, life with babies, kids, teens. I considered the direction of the sun. I measured things instead of taking the listing agents word when things were vital (garage size). I paid attention to if the house was on a through street or culdesac. All things considered, we are pleased and looking forward to the next adventure this will bring!

It’s a move in ready home, built in late 2013, and as soon as we close I will post photos. Everything is neutral colors. Nothing is offensive, but of course I wanna put our stamp on it.

My question is... now that we have a house, where do we start in order to make it a home? Should we do other things (maintenance) as soon as we move in? We know to change locks.

Inspection report came and the very few problems. “Major” issues have been dealt with by a pro. A few things that don’t need immediate attention by a pro are on the to do list. Minor things will be handled by me (adding a self closing and latching gate lock, replacing a few light bulbs, adding a threshold between carpet and tile.

The only furniture we have is:
1 king bed on adjustable base (no headboard/ footboard)
2 night stands, tall dresser, wide dresser (my left over high school furniture)

I have dimensions of the rooms I would like to start with. I know we won’t be moving in to a furnished home, but I want to have a plan for the whole picture when we make the big ticket purchases. I also want to be able to buy key pieces when I find them or spot a good deal.

We are newlyweds, not house poor, but also can’t budget 25% of the purchase price to furnish. I’m hoping to set a realistic budget, invest in decent quality furniture (lazboy, flex steel to give you an idea) and thrift / garage sale the rest. I’m handy and can build things/ refinish things too.

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (48)